Kyle Thomson '20, BS Civil Engineering
With your degree in civil engineering from Clarkson, you can begin your career working in
- structural design
- water, land or other resource development
- transportation systems
- hazardous waste management
- general project management
Take Courses Such As :
- Construction Materials Engineering
- Steel Design
- Timber Design
- Reinforced Masonry design
- Intro to Architectural engineering
- Transportation Systems Design
Minors & Concentrations
Looking to take your education a step further? Check out our list of minors and concentrations to complement your civil engineering degree.
At Clarkson, you will have the opportunity to do hands-on research. Some of the research topics include
- bridge monitoring and infrastructure health
- novel concrete for drainage and corrosion resistance
- strength of materials, ranging from Antarctic ice to novel composite building materials
- indoor air quality
- bioenergy production and the associated life cycle environmental impacts
- fate of contaminants in air, water and soil systems
- air quality monitoring and modeling
- oil spill modeling and environmental impacts
- river and ocean ice dynamics
Internships and Co-op Opportunities
Internships and co-op opportunities at Clarkson are wide-ranging for civil engineers. As a student in civil engineering, you have the ability to pursue an internship or co-op within your field of interest. Below is a list of organizations at which students like you have interned.
- New York Power Authority
- New York State Department of Transportation
- Barton & Loguidice, D.P.C.
- Kiewit/Jett Industries
- Murnane Building Contractors
- Iberdrola USA/NYSEG
- Diehl Development, Inc.
- GE Power & Water
- Atlantic Testing Laboratories
- Central Hudson Gas & Electric Corp.
- Headwaters Hydrology
- Bernier, Carr & Associates
- Ogdensburg-Prescott International Bridge research
- O'Brien & Gere
- Barrett Paving Materials, Inc.
- Keystone Consulting Engineers
- Turner Construction
- Tetra Tech
- Dynamic Structures, Inc.
- Positive Energies, LLC
- MJ Engineering and Land Surveying, P.C.
- Stantec Consulting Services, Inc.
- National Grid
- CHA Consulting, Inc.
- The Lane Construction Corp.