So, you're a student and a Vet, what's next?

Before you can receive education benefits at Clarkson, you must apply for them through the VA. Log into and fill out the application.  If you don't have the capability to apply online, you can call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to have a paper form mailed to you. Students who have received VA benefits at another school before coming to Clarkson University must file a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Veterans and ToE students use VA Form 22-1995; dependents VA Form 22-5495). Students wishing to switch to the Post-9/11 GI Bill® from another benefit should complete a VA Form 22-1990.

It is best to apply for benefits well in advance as it will take some time for the VA to process your application. Once your application has been processed, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in the mail, stating your entitlement.  Take this to the School Certifying Official at your campus for processing. This proof of eligibility is requested before your enrollment can be certified at Clarkson.

Clarkson’s School Certifying Official will enter you into a database with the VA and certify your enrollment at the beginning of each semester. This certification is what tells the VA to begin paying your benefits. All necessary paperwork should be on file with the Certifying Official prior to certification.

If you change benefit programs (for example, change from the Montgomery GI Bill® to the Post 9/11 GI Bill®) an updated Certificate of Eligibility should be presented to the School Certifying Official at your campus.

It is your responsibility to alert the VA should your address or direct deposit information change.  You may call 1-877-838-2778 to begin or change direct deposit.

Qualifying Veterans and HEROS Act

Use the information below to determine if you meet the definition of "Veteran" for Purposes of Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid ("FAFSA")

Question: Are You Currently Serving on ACTIVE DUTY in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?

Answer “Yes” if you are currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces or are a National Guard or Reserves enlistee who is on active duty for other than state or training purposes.

Answer “No” if you are a National Guard or Reserves enlistee who is on active duty for state or training purposes.

Question: Are You a Veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?

Answer “Yes” (you are a veteran) if you:

  • have engaged in active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard) or are a National Guard or Reserve enlistee who was called to active duty for purposes other than training, or were a cadet or midshipman at one of the service academies, AND
  • were released under a condition other than dishonorable.

Answer “No” (you are not a veteran) if you:

  • have never engaged in active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces,
  • are currently an ROTC student or a cadet or midshipman at a service academy or
  • are a National Guard or Reserves enlistee activated only for training OR
  • were engaged in active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces but released under dishonorable conditions.



The Higher Education Relief Opportunities for Students (HEROES) Act  provides for the modification and waiving of some statutory and regulatory provisions related to students who receive financial aid and who are on active duty during a war or other military operation or who reside or are employed in a declared disaster area. These adjustments apply to return of funds and signature requirements for verification and application, among other things. These waivers and modifications were due to expire on September 30, 2007, but on that date the law—and with it the Secretary’s authority to issue the waivers and modifications—was made permanent. As a result, the above actions will remain in effect until September 30, 2012, unless the Secretary ends or changes them before then. For all the details on the Act and a list of the eligible students, see pages 69312–69318 of the Federal Register dated December 12, 2003.  (Reference page AVG-85)

During the period of eligible military service:

  • Forbearance and military service deferment documentation requirements are relaxed
  • In-school status is retained
  • Grace period or school-related deferment status is retained for up to 3 years 
  • Collection activity on defaulted loans may be suspended
  • Missed payments are not treated as an interruption of a stream of required payments 
  • Return of Title IV requirements are modified
  • Copies of IRS forms documenting AGI and income tax paid are not required
  • Written leave of absence request is not required
  • Requirement that loan cancellation or forgiveness service be uninterrupted or consecutive does not apply
  • Period of time for cancelling loan proceeds under cash management regulations is extended
  • Oral, rather than written, authorizations from the borrower may be accepted by the school

Veterans Benefits - Federal and NY State

Programs for Veterans of Military Service

Clarkson prides itself in being a Veteran friendly university.  We participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program with an average of 10 students per semester receiving the benefits of this program.  For students receiving Yellow Ribbon benefits the cost of  tuition and fees will be fully covered by a combination of VA benefits and the Clarkson Yellow Ribbon Scholarship. While it is the student’s responsibility to applying for VA benefits, SAS is willing to assist veterans in any way we can.

The Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program allows institutions of higher learning in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the Veterans Administration to fund tuition and fees expenses.  Clarkson’s Yellow Ribbon will match the VA Yellow Ribbon amount. 

The Post 9/11 GI Bill

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.  You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible.


  1. Clarkson ROTC Incentive Grant

All ROTC Scholarships winners are eligible to receive the Clarkson ROTC Incentive Grant.  This Grant is used towards Housing and Meals charges on the student’s account.  The amount changes every year, based on Housing and Meals costs as well as whether you live on campus, off campus or commute.  In order for the Grant to be disbursed into the student’s account, a contract will need to be signed by the student.  This contract will be sent to the student and, when completed, must be returned to SAS.  Please see the charts below for the Clarkson ROTC Incentive Grant amounts.

Air Force Scholarships

Type 1       Full Tuition and Fees
Type 2       $18,000 - In addition to the Type 2 Air Force Scholarship, the student will retain portions of their Clarkson Awards.  For Clarkson Awards of $1,000 or less, the student will retain the full amount.  For Clarkson Awards of more than $1,000, the student will retain 50%.
Type 3       $ 9,000
Type 6       $ 3,000
Type 8       80% of Tuition and Fees

Aid Item 



Type 1 Scholarship $56,258 $57,950
Type 2 Scholarship $18,000 $18,000
Type 3 Scholarship $9,000 $9,000
Type 6 Scholarship $3,000 $3,000
Type 8 Scholarship $45,006 $46,360
On Campus CU ROTC Incentive Grant $17,006 $17,792
Commuter CU ROTC Incentive Grant $6,068 $6,178
Off Campus CU ROTC Incentive Grant $17,006 $17,792

Clarkson Air Force information
Official Air Force website

Army Scholarships

All winners receive a scholarship of full tuition and fees.

Aid Item 



Scholarship $56,258 $57,950
On Campus CU ROTC Incentive Grant $17,006 $17,792
Commuter CU ROTC Incentive Grant $6,068 $6,178
Off Campus CU ROTC Incentive Grant $17,006 $17,792

Clarkson Army information
Official Army website