Yellow Ribbon Program

Clarkson University Partners with VA Yellow Ribbon Program for Full Tuition Benefits for Military Personnel and Families

Since August 2009, Clarkson University has provided full tuition benefits to qualifying post-9-11 active duty service members, veterans and eligible dependents of military personnel under the federal government’s Yellow Ribbon Program.

In this partnership, the Department of Veterans Affairs is matching the contributions made by schools to pay for the education of eligible veterans and qualifying dependents.  The combination of Clarkson’s match to those paid by the VA under the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act will cover the full cost of tuition and fees in more than 60 programs of study at Clarkson including undergraduate education, the online MBA program and other graduate degrees in business, physical therapy, science and engineering.

With a long history of military preparation on its campus, Clarkson University’s Army and Airforce ROTC units have been recognized in Washington Monthly Magazine among the top five universities in its Annual College Guide for the percentage of students serving in ROTC. Students in these programs are the recipients of numerous awards and recognition for their scholastic work as well as success in field training.

At Clarkson, you'll find professors, students, alumni and staff members who are veterans. Whether you take classes online or at one of our campuses, the Clarkson community welcomes you, supports your academic work and will help you transition to university life.

This is why the University is repeatedly named "Military Friendly," the designation honoring the top 20 percent of U.S. schools doing the most to embrace America's military service members, veterans and spouses — and working to ensure their academic success.

Contact Veterans Group Staff Advisor Jennifer Ball at with any questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

Qualified individuals will receive payments depending upon the length of their post 9/11/2001 service. Your eligibility percentage will be listed on your Certificate of Eligibility. If you haven’t received your COE yet, you can estimate your rate here. Covered college costs include:

  • Tuition and (mandatory) fees up to a maximum amount determined by VA, prorated based on your eligibility percentage.
  • A Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) based upon the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents (with some exceptions), prorated based on your eligibility percentage.
  • A yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1000 paid proportionally based on your enrollment, and prorated based on your eligibility percentage.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. Your eligibility is ultimately determined by the VA.

Learn more about eligibility requirements and more with these helpful links:

Contact the VA to update your address as soon as possible. You can do this online through your eBenefits account ( or by phone at 1-877-838-2778)

Adding or dropping classes during the semester may affect your benefits. Contact Clarkson’s Certifying Official if you are considering changing your enrollment.

Only veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate (based on service requirements) or their designated transferees may receive this funding. Active duty service members and their spouses are not eligible for this program (child transferees of active duty service members may be eligible if the service member is qualified at the 100% rate). Clarkson does not limit the number of students who may receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon program, and will match the maximum VA Yellow Ribbon amount.

Yes. Benefits will be prorated based on your rate of pursuit (# credits you are enrolled in / # credits required to be full time). The Monthly Housing Allowance is only paid if your rate of pursuit is greater than 50%.

Yes, active duty service members (and their spouses using transferred benefits) are not eligible for the monthly housing allowance or the Yellow Ribbon program.

Yes, under certain circumstances. Check this Department of Defense website for up to date information about Transferability.

Steps to Obtaining Education Benefits

Step One

Before you can receive education benefits, you must log into VONAPP ( and apply for benefits with the VA. If you don't have the capability to apply online, you can call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to have a paper form mailed to you.

Step Two

Once the VA has processed your application, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) stating your entitlement. Take this to Clarkson’s VA Certifying Official (located in SAS) for processing. This proof of eligibility is required before you can be certified at Clarkson.


Step Three

Clarkson’s VA Certifying Official will enter you into a database with the VA and certify your enrollment at the beginning of each semester. This certification is what tells the VA to begin paying your benefits. All necessary paperwork must be on file with the Certifying Official prior to certification.

Step Four

If you change benefit programs (for example, change from the Montgomery GI Bill® to the Post 9/11 GI Bill®) an updated Certificate of Eligibility must be presented to the Certifying Official at Clarkson.

CTA Block