Make a Positive Impact on the Next Generation
Teaching is one of society's most critical and in-demand professions. In fact, we are currently facing a looming teacher shortage that is expected to greatly impact urban and rural school districts, as well as foreign language and STEM instruction. Moreover, students need educators who can design curricula that fit different types of learners.
Major advances in education research underscore how to better prepare children for the future. We need teachers who can incorporate these methods with effectiveness, compassion and a deep understanding of every child's potential.
An MA in Curriculum and Instruction is the ideal degree for those who:
- Are preparing for doctoral work in education.
- Have met New York State teacher certification requirements as part of their undergraduate work and need a master’s degree to meet professional certification requirements.
- Are Clarkson education students enrolled in a New York State teacher certification track program and have decided not to pursue classroom teaching.
- Plan to pursue community college or independent school teaching and who wish to learn more about the field of education and education research.
Why Earn an MA in Curriculum and Instruction From Clarkson University?
Clarkson designed the Master of Arts in Curriculum and Instruction with working teachers in mind. You can complete this flexible program onsite, completely online or through a hybrid combination of online and onsite classes. Most students complete all requirements in two to three years.
Create a program of study that is unique to your career goals. With the help of our exceptional faculty, select the courses you need to gain the skills you want. In addition to their pedagogical expertise, all of our faculty members have a P-12 teaching background. This means that they fully understand the profession's rewards and challenges and foster a supportive learning environment for their graduate students.
The MA in Curriculum and Instruction also has a strong research component, making it the ideal degree for those looking to deepen their understanding of the profession. The results of our rigorous training are evident: graduates of our education programs have enjoyed a 100-percent job placement rate since 2016.
What You'll Learn
The program requires 30 credit hours, with nine dedicated to foundational courses and 12 devoted to research. The remaining credit hours are determined by your own interests, teaching subject and career objectives.
The foundation courses are:
- Effective Teaching for All Learners
- Literacy Across the Disciplines or TESOL Literacy
- Modern Teacher
Review the full curriculum for the MA in Curriculum and Instruction below.