The data science program consists of 35 credit hours in mathematics and statistics, 6 credit hours in data science, 13 credit hours in computer science, 8 credit hours in science, 9 credit hours in information systems, and 6 credit hours in application electives. 24 credit hours are in free electives, which is enough to complete a minor or second major if you so choose.
All courses are 3 credits unless noted.\
Clarkson Common Experience
The following courses are required for all students, irrespective of their program of study. These courses are offered during the fall semester, with FY100 First-Year Seminar being required of only first-year students. Both FY100 and UNIV190 are typically taken during the fall semester of the first year at Clarkson.
FY100 First-Year Seminar (1 credit)
UNIV190 The Clarkson Seminar (3 credits)
Data Science Core Requirements
Students are required to complete the following courses:
Data Science/Information Systems
- DS241 Introduction to Data Science
- DS392 Ethics in Data Science and Applied Mathematics
- IS314 Database Design & Management
- IS415 Data Warehousing for Analytics
- IS426 Big Data Architecture
Students are required to complete the following Professional Experience:
MA499 Professional Experience (0 credits)
Mathematics Courses for Data Science
Students must complete the following 12 courses:
- MA131 Calculus I
- MA132 Calculus II
- MA200 Introduction to Mathematical Modeling & Software
- MA211 Discrete Mathematics and Proof
- MA231 Calculus III
- MA339 Applied Linear Algebra
- STAT 381 Probability
- STAT 382 Mathematical Statistics
- STAT 383 Probability and Statistics
- STAT 384 Advanced Applied Statistics
- STAT 385 Bayesian Data Analysis
- STAT 488 Statistics Projects (2 credits)
Science Courses for Data Science
Students must complete the following four courses:
- CS141 Introduction to Computer Science I (4 credits)
- CS142 Introduction to Computer Science II
- CS344 Algorithms and Data Structures
- CS449 Computational Learning
Students must complete two of following courses:
- Biology (BY) 4-credit course with lab
- Chemistry (CM) 4-credit course with lab
- Physics (PH) 4-credit course with lab
Data Science Core Electives
Application Electives are courses from outside the MA, STAT, CS, and IS course designations that provide depth of knowledge in some domain. Students must take two 3-credit courses at the 200 level or higher, both from the same subject area, with the particular pairing approved by the Mathematics Department.
Knowledge Area/University Course Electives
Students will have at least 18 credit hours available to use toward Knowledge Area and/or University Course electives to satisfy the Clarkson Common Experience requirements.
Students will have approximately 24 credit hours available to use toward courses of their choice.
*Up to 12 credit hours of advanced (300- or 400- level) coursework in Aerospace Studies or Military Science may count toward graduation requirements. Aerospace Studies or Military Science credits at the 100 and 200 levels do not count toward the required 120 hours. Other restrictions may apply; check with the Mathematics Department for details.