Cost of Attendance 2021-2022
*Housing costs are based on a weighted average. Freshman housing charges are usually slightly less than the weighted average. For exact housing figures, please see our current housing rates webpage.
**Total fixed costs apply to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. See costs and financial aid for international students.
Clarkson Awards & Scholarships
Based on academic success and promise, these include Clarkson Merit Awards, Transfer Leadership and Achievement Awards, Phi Theta Kappa, and Alpha Beta Gamma Scholarships.
This award gives $15,000 annually for transfer students who demonstrate leadership and outstanding academic achievement and choose to enroll at Clarkson. Students are nominated for this award by a participating two-year school.
Scholarships for students selected for admission to the University's Honors Program. Space for transfer students in the Honors Program is limited.
Clarkson awards $12,000 annually for transfer students who demonstrate leadership and outstanding academic achievement and choose to enroll at Clarkson. Students are nominated for this award by a participating two-year school.
- Holcroft Alumni Recognition Awards: Awards based on strong potential for success and the recommendation from a Clarkson alumnus/alumna. Awards are $500 per year—students can only receive one award, regardless of the number of recommendations. We suggest students contact alumni who know enough about them to provide a meaningful reference.
- Alumni Family Award: If you indicate on your application for admission that you have a brother, sister, aunt, uncle, or cousin that attended Clarkson, you may qualify for a $500 scholarship. Only one scholarship will be granted no matter how many alumni family members you have. *You may receive one Alumni Family and one Alumni Legacy award.
- Alumni Legacy Award: If you indicate on your application for admission that you have a mother, father, grandfather, or grandmother who attended Clarkson, you may qualify for a $1000 scholarship. You can only receive one Alumni Legacy Award no matter how many alumni legacy connections you have. *You may receive one Alumni Family and one Alumni Legacy award.
- The Clarkson Transfer Ignite Presidential Fellowship: The Clarkson Ignite Presidential Fellowship program is a merit-based scholarship covering all tuition costs for one transfer student entering Clarkson in fall 2022.
- First, apply to Clarkson.
- Second, on your Clarkson Application Status Page apply for The Clarkson Ignite Presidential Fellows program by March 1, 2022. We welcome you to submit a 2- to 3-minute video OR a 250-300 word statement on the following topic: Clarkson students seek to pursue their passions by starting college early. What passion(s) and interests will you bring to Clarkson? How will you positively impact the Clarkson community?
- Five (5) finalists will be selected and invited to interview before final decisions are made.
Sources of Financial Aid
To apply for need-based financial aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available from your transfer office, Clarkson's Office of Transfer Admission, or online. Only U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens can complete the FAFSA form and be considered for need-based financial aid at Clarkson. If you do not know whether or not you are eligible to file the FAFSA form, please contact the Office of Transfer Admission.
Need based grants include:
- Federal Grants
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
Learn more about these government-sponsored programs.
For an overview of financing options, please refer to the Clarkson University Financing Plan Packet, which contains information about:
- Clarkson University’s Payment Plan
- Federal student Loans
- Federal parent Loans
- Alternative student loans
You can also check out these helpful resource websites:
We encourage you to apply for additional scholarships. We will not reduce our scholarship/grant offer if you receive outside scholarships, unless the total amount of your scholarship money from all sources exceeds Clarkson's cost. Please note, ROTC scholarships are not designated as outside scholarships and your Clarkson awards may be adjusted to accommodate room and board incentives.
Sources for scholarships include:
- Student and parent employers
- Online searches
If you have financial need, as determined by the FAFSA, you are eligible to work under the Federal Work Study Program. You will have the opportunity to seek jobs at various sites on and off campus. Federal Work Study money is allocated to the University by the federal government and jobs are contingent upon funding. Once you find a job, you will be added to the University payroll and paid bi-weekly by check.
If you do not qualify for Federal Work Study, you may be considered for the University Work Program to work on campus.
Learn more about student employment once to come to campus and see job listings.
New York Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) and Scholarships are available for students that meet residence, income, academic, or other requirements, as established by state law. If you are from New York State, once you complete the FAFSA, your information will be forwarded to the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (NYSHESC). If you have never received a state award before, or if NYSHESC needs more information, you will be sent an Express TAP Application to complete.
An estimated NYS TAP award may be included as part of your financial aid awards, however the state’s notification is your official approved award. Some students may also be selected for state-sponsored awards such as the Academic Excellence Scholarship or the NYS Leaders of Tomorrow award.
More information about NYS financial aid programs is available here.
International Transfer Students
Transfer applicants from outside of the U.S. must also submit the following materials:
- If English is not your first language, please submit official TOEFL or IELTS scores. A TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based) or 80 (Internet-based) is required for admission. The minimum IELTS score is 6.5. We will waive the TOEFL and IELTS requirement if you have attended an English-speaking college for two years.
- International Student Certification of Finances (PDF) form and supporting bank statement.
International students are considered for merit-based awards only. These awards range from $10,000 to $30,000 per year and are based on academic record and potential to succeed at Clarkson. Learn more about International Student Financial Aid.