Residence Life

Residence Life

A Community of Collaboration and Innovation

Collaboration, connection and success start before you enter the classroom at Clarkson University, instead beginning from where you live. As you embark on a new journey and prepare to build your future here, the Residence Life staff at Clarkson are committed to ensuring your new home is welcoming, comfortable and a place where you can grow.

Learn more about living on our tight-knit, supportive and innovation-driving campus — from housing options to finding your community to getting ready to move in.

Housing and Dining Services

Students who may need medically related accommodations for housing should contact the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS).

Office of Accessibility Services (OAS)

Students, for their own benefit, should be familiar with this material and also with the academic standards and curriculum information given in the Clarkson catalog. Certain portions of the Clarkson Regulations are applicable to faculty, administration and staff, as well as visitors to the University.

Clarkson Regulations

If you're ready for college, The Clarkson School is ready for you. In this one-year residential program, complete your senior year of high school on Clarkson University's campus. Push yourself further, taking the same classes as other first-year Clarkson students and through access to research opportunities. And when you finish, you already have a running start toward a bachelor's degree.

Learn More about The Clarkson School

Contact Us

For any questions, refer to the appropriate contact below.

Residential Housing Manager: Emma Blaiklock 
Phone: 315-268-6642 

Area Coordinators
Apartments/Hamlin & Powers: Michael Lee-Edwards
First-Year Student Housing: Demetri Cummings
Moore House & New Dorms: Karenlee Smith
The Clarkson School: Matthew Duchscherer

Living on Campus

Clarkson is a four-year residential campus with living styles built to grow with you throughout your experience. With options including traditional residence halls, apartments and suites, find a place to live with a personality that fits your style and a community that encourages you to strive for your goals. Student housing eligibility is based on the cohort the student enters with, along with the number of semesters a student has lived on campus.

All accommodations are furnished with beds, desks, dressers/chests and closets. Apartments also include a refrigerator, stove and living and dining room furniture. (Students who live in apartments are responsible for providing their own pots, pans and other kitchenware.) Students living anywhere on campus, except in the apartments, are required to be on a full dining plan.

See Photos of Our Residences

First Year Living-Learning Communities

A big part of college is finding your people. In Living-Learning Communities, first-year students build connections with others who have similar interests. Find theme floors dedicated to gamers, makers, movie lovers and more careers and passions.

Explore All Living-Learning Communities

Styles of Housing & Pricing

View Semester Housing Rates Here


Aerial image of the quad dorms

Cubley, Reynolds, Ross and Brooks ("The Quad")

Each of these connected halls has four floors, with 12 to 25 rooms per floor (one RA per floor). Rooms accommodate two students. Each building also contains one triple room located on the fourth floor. Bathrooms are located on both ends of every floor. Bathroom cleaning in this area is generally done daily, Monday-Thursday, by Facilities. All first-year students who are not part of The Clarkson School live in these buildings. Student placements align with Living-Learning Communities (LLCs).

Adirondack chairs in front of the dorms


This four-story building houses about 50 students per floor in single- and double-occupancy rooms and co-ed floors (one RA for every two floors). Residents are from all class years, with the primary residents being sophomores. Bathrooms are located on both ends of every floor. Bathroom cleaning in this area is generally done daily, Monday-Thursday, by Facilities.

Price Hall dorm

Price Hall

Each of Price Hall's four separate wings (Newell, Ormsby, Thomas and Farrisee) houses 60 students (20 per floor). Two buildings within the Price complex, Newell and Ormsby, are home to The Clarkson School, with four total House Advisors (HAs) living with the students. Farrisee houses the winners of the First-Year Cup and is supplemented with other upper-class students. Thomas houses upper-class students. Bathrooms are cleaned by facilities once a week in these suite-style rooms with one RA per wing. There are two person rooms with a private bathroom in each. In addition, each floor has its own common lounge, with laundry service located within the Price Hall complex center core.

Accessibility Services, The Honors Program, The Clarkson School. The Dean of Students Office, and Residence Life are located in the center core of the Price Complex.


Moore House Dorm

Moore House

Choose from traditional and standalone suites in Moore House. Traditional suites are located in the wings on floors one through three, while standalone suites are located in the center core for every floor. The fourth floor has traditional-style suites accommodating up to eight people with both single- and double-occupancy rooms. Most suites are double occupancy, though some are singles. Moore also has lounges on the first and second floors, and a laundry room on each floor. Bathrooms are cleaned by Facilities once a week in these suite-style rooms.

Graham Hall Dorm

Graham Hall

This residential area mainly houses juniors: four separate wings (Wilson, Van Note, Donahue and Olson) with 60 students each (20 per floor) and one RA per wing. The first floor of Donahue is home to the FIRST Robotics Living-Learning Community, which houses first-year students and upper-class student mentors together. Each suite features two bedrooms with a shared private bathroom. Floors have a common lounge, with laundry services in the basement.

Human Resources, Finance and Environmental Health and Safety are located in the center core of the Graham Complex.


Campus apartments are typically for senior students. Apartment cleaning is up to the residents. Additionally, all apartments must follow fire safety regulations regarding approved cooking items, smoking, decorations, etc.

Please note that graduate students can request housing in Clarkson’s apartment-style residences: we have two designated graduate student apartments, one male and one female, located in either Townhouse or Woodstock. Outside of these apartments, we can place graduate students depending on space.

Woodstock Lodge Dorms

Woodstock Village

Woodstock Village is home to 10 apartment buildings for upper-class students and our International Village Living-Learning Community. Apartments vary from two to seven bedrooms. Most apartments have single rooms, though several have doubles. Communal laundry facilities are located in Buildings 1, 4 and 6.

Riverside Dorms

Riverside Apartments

Each apartment in Riverside houses four upper-class students. All of the 24 apartments here are carpeted; 12 have two bedrooms, and 12 have three. The complex has communal laundry facilities and parking. These apartments have several single-occupancy and double-occupancy rooms.

Weston's Apartments

Weston's Apartments

The Weston's Apartments are located above the University Bookstore downtown. These apartments accommodate one to four people, all with single-bedroom rooms. Laundry facilities are located within the complex, as well as trash and recycling. Residents of this area must abide by all village parking ordinances. There is an RA for these apartments.

Townhouse Apartments

Townhouse Apartments

The Townhouse Apartments community has 52 two-bedroom units that house four upper-class students per unit. This complex has communal laundry facilities and parking. All beds within the Townhouse Apartments are lofted above a built in desk.

Availability: Limited single rooms on campus, primarily in Hamlin and Powers, which are designated for upper-class student housing. There is limited single-occupancy housing in every area of campus except in the Townhouse Apartments. 

Assignment Process: Single rooms are available through the Housing Lottery held each spring. They are not guaranteed unless medically approved.

Medical Accommodations

  • Disabilities: Students requiring a single room due to a medical disability must coordinate with the Office of Accessibility Services.

Multi-Occupancy Rooms

  • Roommates: Students in rooms designated for more than single occupancy should be prepared to receive a roommate at any time with little to no notice

First-Year Students

  • Room Assignments: First-year students will be placed in two-person occupancy rooms and may receive a roommate at any time with little to no notice at the discretion of the Residence Life Office. In the Quad, there are four, triple-person occupancy rooms located on the fourth floor of each building. 

Room Buy-Out Option

  • Optional: Certain housing areas may offer a room buy-out option, allowing students to avoid having a randomly assigned roommate. This option is discretionary, specific to certain areas, and not guaranteed annually by the Office of Residence Life.

There are four theme houses on campus that are home to four of our fraternities: Sigma Chi, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Tau Kapa Epsilon and Delta Upsilon. These houses are occupied by academically approved students from the organizations.

Learn More about Greek Life on Campus Here

Vending Machines: Located in some residence halls.

Mail: All students receive a campus mailbox. Mail is delivered directly to the campus mailroom in the Student Center.

Direct Delivery: Students must arrange pick-up of food or other deliveries not made through the postal service, UPS or similar services. Delivery staff are not allowed into residential buildings.  

Network Access: All residence hall rooms have access to the University's high-speed wired and wireless network. Learn more about services offered by the Office of Information Technology.

Parking: On-campus parking is provided in certain lots. Learn more here.

Bicycle Racks: Located outside each residence hall.

Air Conditioning: There is no air conditioning in the Residential buildings or provided by the University. Window air conditioning units are not permitted in any University housing. Students are allowed to use floor units that do not exhaust through a window. One unit per room is permitted.

Storage on Campus: The University is unable to store personal belongings. Residents are expected to remove all personal belongings when vacating campus housing.

Clarkson is a four-year residential university but does allow a commuting option for students. To request commuter status from the Office of Residence Life, students must meet the following criteria as outlined in the Student Regulations: "The student is commuting from their parent or legal guardian's primary residence, which must be within 50 miles of the Clarkson University Potsdam campus."

New students can request commuter status through their admissions portal and by working with the Office of Residence Life. Returning students should apply through Knightlife and work with the Office of Residence Life. There will be required paperwork to complete, which can be obtained from the Office of Residence Life. Residence Life reserves the right to approve or deny requests based on the Student Regulations.

To learn more about Clarkson's Commuter Students and Resources, please visit Clarkson Commuter Student Resources.

Residential Housing Manager: Organizes campus housing for all students throughout the year in collaboration with campus departments, organizations, and administration. Manages residential programs, such as the Residential Enrichment Program (REP), living-learning communities, and theme houses. Works with the hall staff to ensure a positive atmosphere that is comfortable and conducive to study and their living experience.

Area Coordinators (AC): Full-time "live-in" employees of the University responsible for the welfare and development of students living in the residence halls. There is one Area Coordinator for each style of housing that Clarkson offers: Traditional Residence Halls, Suite-Style Housing, The Clarkson School, and Apartment Housing. Each AC oversees a staff of student leaders in their respective areas.

Resident Advisors (RA): Students appointed to serve as liaisons between the university staff and residents. RAs are key residential leaders focused on developing a sense of community that facilitates academic success and personal growth.

House Advisors (HA): Students appointed to serve as liaisons between the Clarkson School Student staff and residents. HAs are key residential leaders focused on developing a sense of community that facilitates academic success and personal growth.

Pack This, Leave That

Planning your first dorm room is almost as much fun as moving in. Take some friendly advice: You can't bring everything with you. (Some items are prohibited for fire safety and other reasons.) Here's a list of things you definitely want, as well as some you can leave behind.

Room essentials

  • Bed sheets and blankets (twin extra-long sheets — each mattress is 36" x 80", pillow).
  • Trash can (we provide the recycling bin).
  • Bath towels and hand towels (let's reduce paper towel use).
  • Toiletries (shower sandals and supplies, health products, bathroom caddy).
  • Clothes and hangers, hanging closet organizer.
  • Personal fan (optional).

Things to help you work

  • Desk lamp with LED light bulb
  • Desk organizer
  • General school supplies
  • Headphones to enjoy your music

Electronics and related

  • Energy Star appliances – wait until you get your roommate assignments to coordinate these! (See "MicroFridges" below.)
  • Entertainment (books, music, games).
  • EPEAT-certified computer and flash drive. A laptop computer is recommended (it takes less space in your dorm and provides a mobile work environment).
  • Ethernet cable (we provide the jack in the wall).
  • Smart power strip (shuts off power when you aren’t using your electronics).


  • Clarkson does not provide bed-lofting supplies, but students may bring their own. Traditional campus beds can be lifted between floor level and approximately four feet high.
  • Laundry bag and laundry detergent for cold-water washing, small dish soap.
  • Reusable bowl/plate and utensils for any in-room eating.
  • Reusable coffee/travel mug and water bottle.
  • Sewing kit.
  • Storage containers. A student suggests: pack your clothes in one or two large solid plastic bins. The bins can be used for storage and as a laundry hamper once you get here, and you will not have to find space for empty suitcases.
  • String lights. Installation should avoid pinch hazards, cannot be over entrances/doorways, cannot be in contact with combustible materials and cannot be attached to the ceiling.

MicroFridges (microwave/freezer/refrigerators) are available for annual rental. The unit gets delivered to your room before you arrive and is big enough for two roommates to share. You can save 20 percent by ordering before July 15.

Review the video below to learn more about renting a MicroFridge on campus:

  • Air conditioner
  • Candles, incense
  • Charcoal/gas grill
  • Extension cords
  • Full-size refrigerator*
  • Halogen lamp
  • Space heater
  • Toaster oven
  • Waterbed
  • Wireless access points or routers
  • Zip cord

*Students have the option to rent a MicroFridge on campus.

Tips for What Not to Bring and Fire Safety for Apartments

Tips for What Not to Bring and Fire Safety for Residence Hall Rooms

The transition to college is as exciting as it is nerve-wracking. Everybody goes through their own process of easing into college life, but we've put together some resources to make your own introduction to your new home as easy as possible.

The University does not carry insurance of any kind on the property of students and accepts no responsibility for loss or damage to such property. Students are encouraged to carry their own personal proper insuance. Students are expected to keep access doors to residence halls closed and locked at all times. Residents are financially liable for damages to rooms, apartments, furnishings, and common area facilities. Fees for unclaimed or common area damages will be shared jointly by the residing students.

Personal property insurance is recommended for all students. 

Q: Is my student required to have a meal plan?
A: Anyone who lives in a traditional and suite-style housing must be on a meal plan. Students who live in apartments, theme houses, or off-campus can be exempt from meal plan.

Q: How do students change their meal plan?
A: Students have the first two weeks of the semester to change their meal plan by emailing or stopping by the Residence Life office. All meal plans carry the same fee.

Q: Do students have a choice in selecting their roommate?
A: First-year students are asked to fill out a "Roommate Survey" form so that Clarkson is able to match students with the appropriate roommate. However, if students want to request another Clarkson first-year student, they can write each other's names on their survey and the Residence Life staff will consider their request.

Q: Are there any single rooms available to students?
A: Yes, there are single rooms available for upper-class students. Single occupancy rooms are available through the Housing Lottery held in the spring of each year.

Q: Are pets allowed in the residence halls or apartments?
A: No, pets are strictly forbidden in any residence hall or apartment at Clarkson University with the exception of service animals. Learn moe about our service animal policies and procedures here.

Q: If I lose my student ID card, what should I do?
A: Students must report their lost or stolen card immediately to Campus Safety & Security. The University, Residence Life, and Clarkson Dining are not responsible for unauthorized usage of student ID cards.

Q: If I lost the key to my room, what should I do?
A: Students should report a lost key immediately to Campus Safety & Security and then visit the Director of Residence Life for a key replacement. Their student account will be charged accordingly. Key duplication is strictly prohibited.

Q: If there is something broken or damaged in my residential space, what should I do?
A: Students should go to this website and complete a work request so that Facilities and Services may address the issue. Students will receive automatic emails from Facilities and Services when the work request has been received, issued, and completed. 

Q: What happens if my residential space has open beds in it?
A: The Residence Life Office reserves the right to make changes to residential assignments at any time, with little or no notice, in response to facility limitations, changes in enrollment, conflict resolution, etc., or to address the needs of the overall residential community. This includes reassigning students to any vacant spaces.

Campus Breaks

While most residents look forward to campus breaks, they must keep in mind some regulations before leaving campus. 

Academic Calendar

October & February Break 
A four-day break during which the university remains open. Students do not need to vacate the campus or request to stay. Dining options will be limited and meal swipes will not be usable during this time.

November & Spring Break
The university is closed during this time. All students must vacate campus. Students who would like to request to stay or return early for any portion of the break must do so through the Office of Residence Life. If a student needs to stay as part of a university organization, group, or department, the coach/manager or advisor for the group must contact Residence Life to confirm the request. There is no food on campus during this break.

Winter Break
Non-graduating students must vacate campus within 24 hours of their last exam. Students who are graduating in December must vacate their campus housing by the day following December Commencement. Students who would like to request to stay or return early for any portion of the break must do so through the Office of Residence Life. If a student needs to stay as part of a university organization, group, or department, the coach/manager or advisor for the group must contact Residence Life to confirm the request. There is no food on campus during this break. 

Summer Break
Non-graduating students must vacate campus within 24 hours of their last exam. Students who are graduating in May must vacate their campus housing by the day following May Commencement and must follow all closing procedures. Clarkson will not store any student items for the break. Students who would like to request to stay or return early for any portion of the break must do so through the Office of Residence Life. If a student needs to stay as part of a university organization, group, or department, the coach/manager or advisor for the group must contact Residence Life to confirm the request. There is no food on campus during this break. 

Your New Home Awaits

Have more questions about moving on campus? Let us know — we're happy to help.