California Institute of Technology
South China University of Technology
- Faculty Advisor of the NYWEA Student Chapter at Clarkson University
- Undergraduate advisor of Class of 2023
- Graduate Admission Committee
- Synthesis and characterization of advanced electro-active materials
- Advance oxidation/reduction techniques for emerging contaminant removal and value-added chemical production.
- Development and commercialization of decentralized water treatment techniques for WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) applications.
- Youth Editorial Board of Frontiers of Environmental Science & Engineering (2022-present)
- Associate Editor of Emerging Contaminant (2018 - present)
- Guest Editor of Water Environment Research (2019 – 2020)
- FY20 CBET 1440/EnvEng
- FY21 CBET 1440/EnvEng
- FY21 NSF-SBIR
- Environmental Science & Technology; Water Research; Applied Catalysis B: Environmental; ACS Catalysis; Journal of Hazardous Materials; Journal of Molecular Catalysis; Electrochimica Acta; Chemosphere; Water Science & Technology; Journal of Environmental Science.
- 2021 Andirondak Research Consortium Webinar Series
- 2021 Environmental Research and Education Foundation Education Program. Future Tech: Treating PFAS using AC and DC. (Co-panelist with Prof. Thomas Holsen and Dr. Bryan Staley)
- 2018 Fall ACS National Meeting & Exposition. Section: Electrical/Electrochemical Technologies for Environmental Applications. (co-organizer with Prof. Brian Chaplin, Prof. Xing Xie, and Dr, Dawei Wang)
- Clarkson Ignite Research Fellowship Award (2019)
- Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology Best Paper Award (2019)
Awards Received by Students/Postdocs
- Shasha Yang, PhD Graduate Student 2nd Place in the Student Design Competition during NYWEA 93rd Virtual Annual Meeting, February 16, 2021 Best Poster Presentation Award in 2021 Virtual CAPEES Student E-poster Competition, July 17, 2021 Three Awards of Excellence in Research in Electrochemistry, Sustainability, and Catalysis. Summer Research and Project Showcase of Clarkson University. 2020
- Michaela Richey, Accepted High School Student Excellence in Electrochemistry Research Award. Summer Research and Project Showcase of Clarkson University. 2021
- Farideh Hosseini Narouei. Postdoctoral Fellow Earth Institute Postdoctoral Research Program Fellowship. 2021
Title: Nickel and Palladium Single-Atom Electrocatalysts for Selective Capture and Destruction of PFAS in Complex Water Matrices
Agency: National Science Foundation
Period: 08/01/2021 – 07/31/2024
Title: Deep Destruction of PFAS in Complicated Water Matrices by Integrated Electrochemical Oxidation and UV-Sulfite Reduction
Role: PI with co-PI Dr. Jinyong Liu (University of California at Riverside)
Period: 09/30/2021 – 04/30/2023
Title: Electrochemical Treatment of Azoles in SCD
Agency: Global Foundries
Role: PI with co-PI Dr. Thomas M. Holsen
Period: 01/25/2021 – 12/31/2021
Title: Electrochemical Oxidation of Cyanobacteria and Cytotoxin
Role: PI with co-PI Dr. Stefan Grimberg
Period: 11/18/2019 - 11/30/2020
Title: Heterogeneous Photoelectrocatalytic Decomposition of Perfluorooctanoic Acid with a Mesoporous Structured Photoanode
Agency: NYS Department of Economic Development
Period: 07/01/2019 – 06/30/2024
Title: Development of Energy-efficient Wastewater Treatment for Removal of Pharmaceutical contaminants
Agency: NYS Department of Economic Development
Period: 04/01/2021 – 03/31/2022
Title: Precision Destruction of Organohalides by Single Atom Catalysts.
Role: co-PI with PI Dr. Jaehong Kim (Yale University)
Title: Innovative Technologies to Treat Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) in Landfill Leachate
Agency: Environmental Research & Education Foundation
Role: co-PI with PI Dr. Thomas M. Holsen
Period: 01/01/2020 – 02/14/2022
Title: Development of Reactive Electrochemical Membranes for Toilet Wastewater Treatment
Agency: Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
Role: co-PI with PI Dr. Michael R. Hoffmann (California Institute of Technology)
Period: 01/01/2020 – 12/31/2021
Title: Develop Educational Modules for Providing K-12 Students with Basic Principles and Engineering Concept behind the Design of Conventional and New Water/Wastewater Treatment Processes.
Agency: AEESP Foundation
Role: co-PI with PI Dr. Taeyoung Kim
Period: 07/01/2020 – 07/01/2021
Title: Ignite Fellowship: Microwave-assisted Electrocatalytic Conversion of End-of-Life Plastic Wastes to Clean Fuel
Agency: Clarkson University
Role: PI with co-PI Dr. Xiaocun Lu
Title: Covid 19 Special Solicitation Research Project: Regenerable Electrospun Nano-Fiber Filters for Efficient Bio-Aerosol Removal.
Agency: Clarkson University
Role: PI with co-PI Dr. Suresh Dhaniyala
- System and method for electrochemical oxidation mitigation of harmful algal bloom and cyanotoxins. Y Yang. U.S. App. No. 17164347.
- Reactive electrochemical membrane for wastewater treatment. Y Yang. U.S. App. No. 16/911,912
- Electrolysis electrode featuring metal-doped nanotube array and methods of manufacture and using same. MR Hoffmann, Y Yang - US Patent 11,028,491, 2021. (Granted)
- Y. Zhang, X. Chen, C. Liang, L. Yin and Y. Yang, Reconstructing the coordination environment of single atomic Fe-catalysts for boosting the Fenton-like degradation activities. Appl. Catal. B: Environ. 2022, 315, 121536. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2022.121536
- S. Yang, T. Michael, S. Fernando, S. Grimberg and Y. Yang, Mitigation of cyanobacterial harmful algal blooms (cHABs) and cyanotoxins by electrochemical oxidation: from bench-scale study to field application. ACS EST Engg. (Accepted as Editor’s Choice and Front Cover)
- H. Li, E. Quisepe, S. Yang, L. Yin and Y. Yang, Electrosynthesis of > 20 g/L H2O2 From Air. ACS EST Engg. 2022, 2, 2, 242–250. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsestengg.1c00366
- Y. Zhang, Y. Yang, S. Yang, E. Quispe-Cardenas and M. R. Hoffmann, Application of Heterojunction Ni–Sb–SnO2 Anodes for Electrochemical Water Treatment. ACS EST Engg. 2021, 1, 8, 1236–1245. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsestengg.1c00122.
- S. Wang, S. Yang, E. Quisepe, H. Yang, C. Sanfiorenzo, S. W. Rogers, K. Wang, Y. Yang, and M. R. Hoffmann, Removal of Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria and Genes by UV-Assisted Electrochemical Oxidation on Degenerative TiO2 Nanotube Arrays. ACS EST Engg. 2021, 1, 3, 612–622. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsestengg.1c00011.
- S. Wang, Y. Zhu, Y. Yang, J. Li and M. R. Hoffmann, Electrochemical Cell Lysis of Gram-Positive and Gram-Negative Bacteria: DNA Extraction from Environmental Water Samples. Electrochim. Acta 2020, 338, 135864. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2020.135864.
- Q. Zhuo, J. Wang, J. Niu, B. Yang and Y. Yang, Electrochemical Oxidation of Perfluorooctane Sulfonate (PFOS) Substitute by Modified Boron Doped Diamond (BDD) Anodes. Chem. Eng. J. 2020, 379, 122280. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2019.122280.
- Y. Zhang, X. Chen, S. Zhang, L. Yin and Y. Yang, Defective Titanium Dioxide Nanobamboo Arrays Architecture for Photocatalytic Nitrogen Fixation up to 780 nm. Chemical Engineering Journal 2020, 401, 126033. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2020.126033.
- Y. Yang, Recent Advances in the Electrochemical Oxidation Water Treatment: Spotlight on Byproduct Control. Front. Environ. Sci. Eng. 2020, 14 (5), 85. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11783-020-1264-7.
- S. Yang, S. Fernando, T. M. Holsen and Y. Yang, Inhibition of Perchlorate Formation during the Electrochemical Oxidation of Perfluoroalkyl Acid in Groundwater. Environ. Sci. Technol. Lett. 2019, 6 (12), 775–780. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.estlett.9b00653.
- Y. Yang, L. Lin, L. K. Tse, H. Dong, S. Yu, and M. R. Hoffmann, Membrane-Separated Electrochemical Latrine Wastewater Treatment. Environ. Sci.: Water Res. Technol. 2019, 5 (1), 51–59. https://doi.org/10.1039/C8EW00698A.
- J. Lim, Y. Yang, and M. R. Hoffmann, Activation of Peroxymonosulfate by Oxygen Vacancies-Enriched Cobalt-Doped Black TiO2 Nanotubes for the Removal of Organic Pollutants. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2019, 53 (12), 6972–6980. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.9b01449.
- Y. Yang, L Kao, Y. Liu, K. Sun, H. Yu, J. Guo, S. Y. H. Liou, and M. R. Hoffmann, Cobalt-Doped Black TiO2 Nanotube Array as a Stable Anode for Oxygen Evolution and Electrochemical Wastewater Treatment. ACS Catal. 2018, 8 (5), 4278–4287. https://doi.org/10.1021/acscatal.7b04340.
- J. T. Jasper, Y. Yang, and M. R. Hoffmann, Toxic Byproduct Formation during Electrochemical Treatment of Latrine Wastewater. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2017, 51 (12), 7111–7119. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.7b01002.
- Y. Yang, and M. R. Hoffmann, Synthesis and Stabilization of Blue-Black TiO2 Nanotube Arrays for Electrochemical Oxidant Generation and Wastewater Treatment. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2016, 50 (21), 11888–11894. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.6b03540.
- Y. Yang, J. Shin, J. T. Jasper, and M. R. Hoffmann, Multilayer Heterojunction Anodes for Saline Wastewater Treatment: Design Strategies and Reactive Species Generation Mechanisms. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2016, 50 (16), 8780–8787. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.6b00688.
- X. Xie, J. Bahnemann, S. Wang, Y. Yang and M. R. Hoffmann, “Nanofiltration” Enabled by Super-Absorbent Polymer Beads for Concentrating Microorganisms in Water Samples. Sci Rep 2016, 6 (1), 20516. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep20516.
- Y. Li, Y. Yang, G. Yu, J. Huang, B. Wang, S. Deng, and Y. Wang, Emission of Unintentionally Produced Persistent Organic Pollutants (UPOPs) from Municipal Waste Incinerators in China. Chemosphere 2016, 158, 17–23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2016.05.037.
- S. Zhang, J. Huang, Y. Yang, Y. Li, B. Wang, Y. Wang, S. Deng and G. Yu, Rapid Mechanochemical Synthesis of VOx/TiO2 as Highly Active Catalyst for HCB Removal. Chemosphere 2015, 141, 197–204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2015.07.027.
- Y. Yang, S. Zhang, S. Wang, K. Zhang, H. Wang, J. Huang, S. Deng, B. Wang, Y. Wang and G. Yu, Ball Milling Synthesized MnOx as Highly Active Catalyst for Gaseous POPs Removal: Significance of Mechanochemically Induced Oxygen Vacancies. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2015, 49 (7), 4473–4480. https://doi.org/10.1021/es505232f.
- Y. Yang, J. Huang, S. Zhang, S. Wang, S. Deng, B. Wang and G. Yu, Regenerable Magnetic Octahedral Layer Catalyst for Gaseous UPOPs Removal. J. Hazard. Mater. 2014, 280, 627–635. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2014.08.045.
- Y. Yang, J. Huang, S. Zhang, S. Wang, S. Deng, B. Wang and G. Yu, Catalytic Removal of Gaseous HCBz on Cu Doped OMS: Effect of Cu Location on Catalytic Performance. Appl. Catal. B Environ. 2014, 150–151, 167–178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2013.11.041.
- Y. Yang, J. Huang, S. Wang, S. Deng, B. Wang and G. Yu, Catalytic Removal of Gaseous Unintentional POPs on Manganese Oxide Octahedral Molecular Sieves. Appl. Catal. B Environ. 2013, 142–143, 568–578. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2013.05.048.
- S. Wang, J. Huang, Y. Yang, Y. Hui, Y. Ge, T. Larssen, G. Yu, S. Deng, B. Wang and C. Harman, First Report of a Chinese PFOS Alternative Overlooked for 30 Years: Its Toxicity, Persistence, and Presence in the Environment. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2013, 47 (18), 10163–10170. https://doi.org/10.1021/es401525n.
- S. Wang, J. Huang, Y. Yang, G. Yu, S. Deng and B. Wang, Photodegradation of Dechlorane Plus in N-Nonane under the Irradiation of Xenon Lamp. Journal of Hazardous Materials 2013, 260, 16–23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2013.04.034.
- Z. Cao, Y. Yang, G. Yu, T. Zhang, L. Deng, K. Zhang, B. Wang, S. Deng, and J. Huang, Pay Attention to the Fate of an Emerging Hazardous Waste: PBDE-Contaminated Indoor Dust. Environ Sci Pollut Res 2013, 20 (3), 1895–1897. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-012-1369-z.
- Y. Yang, G. Yu, S. Deng, S. Wang, Z. Xu, J. Huang and B. Wang, Catalytic Oxidation of Hexachlorobenzene in Simulated Gas on V2O5–WO3/TiO2 Catalyst. Chemical Engineering Journal 2012, 192, 284–291. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2012.03.069.
- Z. Xu, S. Deng, Y. Yang, T. Zhang, Q. Cao, J. Huang and G. Yu, Catalytic Destruction of Pentachlorobenzene in Simulated Flue Gas by a V2O5–WO3/TiO2 Catalyst. Chemosphere 2012, 87 (9), 1032–1038. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2012.01.004.