Dr. Martinez graduated with a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering from Carleton University in 1995. After working in industry he returned to school to continue his education. In 1997, he completed a master's degree in Mechanical Engineering from Carleton University. In 2006, he finished his Ph.D. in the area of FEA of smart material and structures. In his position at Clarkson University, he continues to perform research on the development of a Holistic Structural Integrity Process for aerospace structures.
Dr. Martinez is working on the development of a Holistic Structural Integrity Process, known as HolSIP. This process is physics based and founded upon the primary idea that all failure mechanisms involved in the degradation of the structure are interconnected and should not be analyzed as merely the sum of individual mechanisms. In reality, many failure mechanisms interact synergistically and are much more complex and challenging to understand, and thus the requirement for a holistic physics based analysis and design approach to structural integrity problems. The final goal of this holistic approach is to more accurately assess the reliability and structural integrity of mechanical and aerospace structures and whenever possible assist in extending their life. HolSIP requires many inputs to be able to provide the required outputs that structural integrity engineers need in order to assess the remaining useful life of an aerospace structure relative to its original certification. In order to achieve such a goal, HolSIP combines research fields such as: Health Usage Monitoring (HUMS), Structural Health Monitoring (SHM), Adaptive Structures, Machine Learning Algorithms, initial and current structural conditions, Flight Load and Condition Monitoring. As part of his research, Dr. Martinez, focuses on advancements in the field of SHM, Load Monitoring and fatigue of metallic and composites structures.
- Charles H. Jennings Award, from the American Welding Society, Las Vegas NV, Nov. 2020.
- 2016-2017 Clarkson University Student Association (CUSA) Teaching Excellence Award
Marie Skłodowska-Curie Career Integration Grant.
Research Funding Organizations:
- Office of Naval Research (ONR)
- Harris Corporation
- Lockheed Martin
- Edgewell Corporation
- Air Force SBIR Phase 1
- Ogdensburg Bridge and Port Authority
- M. Martinez, M. Yanishevsky, B. Rocha, N.C. Bellinger, “21 - Maintenance and monitoring of composite helicopter structures and materials”, Published by Woodhead Publishing, UK, May 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-100137-0.00021-3. http://store.elsevier.com/product.jsp?isbn=9780081001370
- N.C. Bellinger and M. Martinez, “Environmental Monitoring of Aircraft”, in Encyclopedia of Structural Health Monitoring, Boller, C., Chang, F. and Fujino, Y. (eds), John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester, UK, DOI: 10.1002/9780470061626.shm191, pp. 1523-1530. September 2009
Selected Journal Publications:
- F. Falcetelli, N. Venturini, M. B. Romero, M. Martinez, S. Pant, and E. Troiani, “Reconstruction of a Broadband Acoustic Signal using Time Reversal”, Journal of Intelligent Material System and Structures, JIM-19-523, Sept. 23rd 2020.
- Hieu T. Truong, Marcias Martinez, Ozden Ochoa, Dimitris Lagoudas, “Mode I Fracture Toughness of Hybrid Co-Cured and NiTi-CFRP Interfaces: An Experimental and Computational Study”, Journal of Composites Part A, Vol. 135, 105925, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2020.105925. August 2020.
- D.L. Ball, M.Martinez, A. Baldassarre, D.M. Dubowski, S.S. Carlson, Analytical and Experimental Investigation of Elastic-Plastic Strain Distributions at Two-Dimensional Notches, Journal of Testing and Evaluation (ASTM), https://doi.org/10.1520/JTE20190924, July 15th 2020.
- Baldassare, Alessandro; Ocampo, Juan; Martinez, Marcias; Rans, Calvin, “Accuracy of Strain Measurements Systems of a Non-Isotropic Material and Its Uncertainty on Finite Element Analysis”, Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design. https://doi.org/10.1177/0309324720924580, June 7th 2020.
- M. Pliazhuk, C. Reyes, M. Martinez, J. Goldak, H. Nimrouzi, D.K. Aidun, “In-situ Monitoring of Transient Strain Formation in Vertical Welds”, Published in the American Welding Journal, September 2019. https://doi.org/10.29391/2019.98.022, Charles H. Jennings Award from the American Welding Society 2020.
- M. Barroso-Romero, D. Gagar, S. Pant, M. Martinez, “Wave mode identification of acoustic emission signals using phase analysis”, Journal of Acoustics, https://doi.org/10.3390/acoustics1020026 , June 2019.
- Cornelis de Mooij, Marcias Martinez, and Rinze Benedictus, “iFEM Benchmark Problems for Solid Elements”, Journal of Smart Materials and Structures, https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-665X/ab136f, March 2019.
- Alessandro Baldassare, Marcias Martinez, Calvin Rans, “Residual Stress Evaluation of Bonded Composite Joints using the Central Cut Plies Specimens”, Journal of Adhesion, DOI: 10.1080/00218464.2019.1598862, March 2019.
- Jurij Sodja, Marcias J. Martinez, John C. Simpson, Roeland De Breuker, “Experimental Evaluation of the Morphing Leading Edge Concept”, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, April 2019.
- M. Pliazhuk, C. Reyes, M. Martinez, J. Goldak, H. Nimrouzi, D.K. Aidun, “In-situ Monitoring of Transient Strain Formation in Vertical Welds”, American Welding Society Journal, February 2019, Journal ID: 201898. September, 2019
- L. Sauvage, B. Wei, M. Martinez, “When conservation meets engineering: predicting the damaging effects of vibrations on pastel paintings”, Journal of Studies in Conservation, DOI: 10.1080/00393630.2018.1504444, Vol. 63, pp. 418-420, February 2018.