AIAA Associate Fellow
Former PhD Students:
- Dr. James Chen (PhD thesis 2011), Associate Professor of University of Buffalo, NY
- Dr. Andrew DeJong (PhD thesis 2013), Computational Engineer of Naval Surface Warfare Center Carderock Division (NSWCCD)
- Dr. Junfeng Wang (PhD thesis 2016), Computational Engineer of Simerics Inc, Seattle WA.
- Dr. Jingjing Yang (PhD thesis 2018), R&D Software Engineering Manager of Dassault Systèmes, Boston MA.
- Dr. Christopher Cox (PhD thesis 2018), Staff Scientist of Lawrence Livermore National Lab
- Dr. Bin Zhang (PhD thesis 2016), Visiting Assistant Professor, Clarkson University
- Dr. Liangwei Li (PhD thesis 2019), Software Engineer, Facebook
- Dr. Xiaoliang Zhang (PhD thesis 2019), Principal Software Engineer, Cadence Design Systems, Dallas TX
Former Undergraduate Students:
- Todd Dillon, Lead Systems Engineer at Lockheed Martin RMS, Undergraduate Research Assistant, 2013.
- Roland Yu, Account Technical Specialist at NetApp, Undergraduate Research Assistant, 2018.
Computational Fluid Dynamics, Marine Propulsion, Magnetohydrodynamics, Fluid-Structure Interaction, Heat Transfer.
Group Members: Kuangxu Chen (PhD student), Drew Safford (PhD student), Huijing Dong (PhD student), Stephen Monroe (MS student), Russell Hankey (Undergraduate), Grady Regan (UG research)
- Associate Editor of the ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering.
- Editorial Board Member of Computers & Fluids Journal.
- Editorial Board Member of Progress in Aerospace Sciences
2001-2004: Overseas Research Student Award Universities UK
2012: Outstanding fluid-structure-interaction technical paper award at the ASME
Pressure Vessel and Piping Conference, Toronto
2014: Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Program Award
2016: National Science Foundation CAREER Award
2019: Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE)
- Drew Safford, Junfeng Wang, Chunlei Liang, Kenneth Visser, Bin Zhang, and Guangming Yao, Unsteady Reynolds-Averaged Navier-Stokes (URANS) simulations of a ducted wind turbine, submitted to the ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, May 2022, Revision made in September 2022.
- Chi Ding, Bin Zhang, Chunlei Liang, Kenneth D Visser, Guangming Yao, High-Order Large-Eddy Simulations of a Wind Turbine in Ducted and Open-Rotor Configurations, ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, published online, October 2022, https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4055989.
- Q. Xie, X. Ji, Z. Qiu, Chunlei Liang, Kun Xu, High-Order Spectral Difference Gas-Kinetic Schemes for Euler and Navier-Stokes equations, submitted to East Asian Journal on Applied Mathematics, September 2022.
- K. Chen and C. Liang, An arbitrarily high-order Spectral Difference method with Divergence Cleaning (SDDC) for compressible magnetohydrodynamic simulations on unstructured grids, The Astrophysical Journal, published online, June 2022. https://doi.org/10.3847/1538-4357/ac6e61
- K. Chen and C. Liang, A divergence-free high-order Spectral Difference method with Constrained Transport (SDCT) for ideal compressible magnetohydrodynamics. In Press, Int. Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1080/10618562.2022.2042272
- B. Zhang and C. Liang, A Conservative High-Order Method Utilizing Dynamic Transfinite Mortar Elements for Flow Simulations on Curved Nonconforming Sliding Meshes, Journal of Computational Physics, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcp.2021.110522
- B. Zhang, C. Ding, C. Liang, High-order implicit large-eddy simulation of flow over a marine propeller, Computers & Fluids, 2021, Vol 224, 104967.
- X. Zhang and C. Liang, An open boundary condition for high-order solutions of magnetohydrodynamics on unstructured grids, Int. Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1080/10618562.2020.1791835
- Zihua Qiu, Bin Zhang, Chunlei Liang, Min Xu, A high-order solver for simulating vortex-induced vibrations using sliding-mesh spectral difference method and hybrid grids, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, Vol 90, 171-194, 2019.
- Mao Li, Zihua Qiu, Chunlei Liang, Michael A Sprague, Charles Garris, A New High-order Spectral Difference Method for Simulating Viscous Flows on Unstructured Grids with Mixed-Elements, Computers & Fluids, Vol 184, 187-198, 2019.
- Jingjing Yang, Chunlei Liang, A high-order flux reconstruction adaptive mesh refinement method for magnetohydrodynamics on unstructured grids. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, Volume 86, 231-253, 2018.
- C. Cox, C. Liang, and M. Plesniak, A high-order solver for unsteady incompressible Navier-Stokes equations using the flux reconstruction method on unstructured grids with implicit dual time stepping. Journal of Computational Physics, Vol 314, 414-435, 2016.
- B. Zhang and C. Liang, A Simple, Efficient, High-order Accurate Sliding-Mesh Interface Approach to the Spectral Difference Method on Coupled Rotating and Stationary Domains. Journal of Computational Physics, Vol 295, 147-16, 2015.
- J. Wang, C. Liang and M. S. Miesch, A Compressible High-Order Unstructured Spectral Difference Code for Stratified Convection in Rotating Spherical Shells, Journal of Computational Physics, Vol 290, pp 90-111, 2015.
- Andrew DeJong and Chunlei Liang, Parallel spectral difference method for predicting 3D vortex-induced vibrations, Computers, and Fluids, Volume 98, 2014, Pages 17-26.
- James Chen, James D.Lee, and Chunlei Liang, Constitutive equations of Micropolar electromagnetic fluids, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 166:867-874, 2011.
- J. Chen, C. Liang, and J. D. Lee, Numerical simulation for unsteady compressible Micropolar fluid flow, Computers and Fluids, vol 66, pp. 1-9, 2012.
- A. Chan, P. Dewey, Antony Jameson, C. Liang, and A. Smits, Vortex suppression and drag reduction in the wake of counter-rotating cylinders, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 679: 343-382, 2011.
- C. Liang, A. Chan, A. Jameson, A p-multigrid spectral difference method for two-dimensional unsteady incompressible Navier–Stokes equations, Computers & Fluids, Volume 51, pages 127-135, 2011.
- C. Liang, K. Ou, S. Premasuthan, A. Jameson and Z. J. Wang. High-order accurate simulations of unsteady flow past plunging and pitching airfoils. Computers and Fluids, Vol 40, pages 236-248, Issue 1, 2011.
- J. Chen, C. Liang and J. D. Lee, Theory and Simulation of Micropolar Fluid Dynamics, Journal of Nanoengineering and Nanosystems, 224, 31-40, 2011.
- C. Liang, A. Jameson and Z. J. Wang. Spectral Difference method for two-dimensional compressible flow on unstructured grids with mixed elements. Journal of Computational Physics, vol 228, pp 2847-2858, 2009.
- C. Liang, G. Papadakis, X. Luo, Effect of tube spacing on the vortex shedding characteristics of laminar flow past an inline tube array: a numerical study, Computers & Fluids, Vol 38, 950-964, 2009.
- C. Liang, R. Kannan, and Z. J. Wang. A p-Multigrid Spectral Difference Method with explicit and implicit smoothers on unstructured triangular grids. Computers and Fluids, 38:254-265, 2009.
- C. Liang and G. Papadakis. Large Eddy Simulation of Flow over a Staggered Tube Bundle. Journal of Fluids and Structures, 23:1215-1230, 2007.
- T Stoesser, C Liang, W Rodi, G Jirka, “Large Eddy Simulation of Fully-developed Turbulent Flow Through Submerged Vegetation”, River Flow 2006, pp. 227-234.