AIAA Associate Fellow
Computational Fluid Dynamics, Marine Propulsion, Magnetohydrodynamics, Fluid-Structure Interaction, Heat Transfer.
Group Members: Dr. Bin Zhang (Research Assistant Professor), Kuangxu Chen (PhD student), Drew Safford (PhD student), Huijing Dong (PhD student), Stephen Monroe (MS student), Russell Hankey (Undergraduate), Grady Regan (UG research), Colton Koerber (UG research)
Clarkson Alumni from this group: Kuangxu Chen (MS with thesis) and Chi Ding (MS with thesis).
George Washington Alumni from this group: Dr. James Chen (PhD thesis 2011), Dr. Andrew DeJong (PhD thesis 2013), Dr. Junfeng Wang (PhD thesis 2016), Dr. Jingjing Yang (PhD thesis 2018), Dr. Christopher Cox (PhD thesis 2018), Dr. Bin Zhang (PhD thesis 2016), Dr. Liangwei Li (PhD thesis 2019), Dr. Xiaoliang Zhang (PhD thesis 2019), Shantanu Bailoor (MS thesis 2018), Mao Li (MS thesis 2019), Yunze Li (MS thesis 2019).
- Associate Editor of the ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering.
- Editorial Board Member of Computers & Fluids Journal.
- Editorial Board Member of Progress in Aerospace Sciences
2001-2004: Overseas Research Student Award Universities UK
2012: Outstanding fluid-structure-interaction technical paper award at the ASME
Pressure Vessel and Piping Conference, Toronto
2014: Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Program Award
2016: National Science Foundation CAREER Award
2019: Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE)
- K. Chen and C. Liang, An arbitrarily high-order Spectral Difference method with Divergence Cleaning (SDDC) for compressible magnetohydrodynamic simulations on unstructured grids, The Astrophysical Journal, published online, June 2022. https://doi.org/10.3847/1538-4357/ac6e61
- K. Chen and C. Liang, A divergence-free high-order Spectral Difference method with Constrained Transport (SDCT) for ideal compressible magnetohydrodynamics. In Press, Int. Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1080/10618562.2022.2042272
- Chi Ding, Bin Zhang, Chunlei Liang, Kenneth Visser, and Guangming Yao, High-Order Large-Eddy Simulations of a Ducted Wind Turbine, January 2022, AIAA SciTech Conference. https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2022-1147
- B. Zhang and C. Liang, A Conservative High-Order Method Utilizing Dynamic Transfinite Mortar Elements for Flow Simulations on Curved Nonconforming Sliding Meshes, Journal of Computational Physics, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcp.2021.110522
- B. Zhang, C. Ding, C. Liang, High-order implicit large-eddy simulation of flow over a marine propeller, Computers & Fluids, 2021, Vol 224, 104967.
- X. Zhang and C. Liang, An open boundary condition for high-order solutions of magnetohydrodynamics on unstructured grids, Int. Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1080/10618562.2020.1791835
- Zihua Qiu, Bin Zhang, Chunlei Liang, Min Xu, A high-order solver for simulating vortex-induced vibrations using sliding-mesh spectral difference method and hybrid grids, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, Vol 90, 171-194, 2019.
- Mao Li, Zihua Qiu, Chunlei Liang, Michael A Sprague, Charles Garris, A New High-order Spectral Difference Method for Simulating Viscous Flows on Unstructured Grids with Mixed-Elements, Computers & Fluids, Vol 184, 187-198, 2019.
- Jingjing Yang, Chunlei Liang, A high-order flux reconstruction adaptive mesh refinement method for magnetohydrodynamics on unstructured grids. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, Volume 86, 231-253, 2018.
- C. Cox, C. Liang, and M. Plesniak, A high-order solver for unsteady incompressible Navier-Stokes equations using the flux reconstruction method on unstructured grids with implicit dual time stepping. Journal of Computational Physics, Vol 314, 414-435, 2016.
- B. Zhang and C. Liang, A Simple, Efficient, High-order Accurate Sliding-Mesh Interface Approach to the Spectral Difference Method on Coupled Rotating and Stationary Domains. Journal of Computational Physics, Vol 295, 147-16, 2015.
- J. Wang, C. Liang and M. S. Miesch, A Compressible High-Order Unstructured Spectral Difference Code for Stratified Convection in Rotating Spherical Shells, Journal of Computational Physics, Vol 290, pp 90-111, 2015.
- Andrew DeJong and Chunlei Liang, Parallel spectral difference method for predicting 3D vortex-induced vibrations, Computers, and Fluids, Volume 98, 2014, Pages 17-26.
- James Chen, James D.Lee, and Chunlei Liang, Constitutive equations of Micropolar electromagnetic fluids, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 166:867-874, 2011.
- J. Chen, C. Liang, and J. D. Lee, Numerical simulation for unsteady compressible Micropolar fluid flow, Computers and Fluids, vol 66, pp. 1-9, 2012.
- A. Chan, P. Dewey, Antony Jameson, C. Liang, and A. Smits, Vortex suppression and drag reduction in the wake of counter-rotating cylinders, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 679: 343-382, 2011.
- C. Liang, A. Chan, A. Jameson, A p-multigrid spectral difference method for two-dimensional unsteady incompressible Navier–Stokes equations, Computers & Fluids, Volume 51, pages 127-135, 2011.
- C. Liang, K. Ou, S. Premasuthan, A. Jameson and Z. J. Wang. High-order accurate simulations of unsteady flow past plunging and pitching airfoils. Computers and Fluids, Vol 40, pages 236-248, Issue 1, 2011.
- J. Chen, C. Liang and J. D. Lee, Theory and Simulation of Micropolar Fluid Dynamics, Journal of Nanoengineering and Nanosystems, 224, 31-40, 2011.
- C. Liang, A. Jameson and Z. J. Wang. Spectral Difference method for two-dimensional compressible flow on unstructured grids with mixed elements. Journal of Computational Physics, vol 228, pp 2847-2858, 2009.
- C. Liang, G. Papadakis, X. Luo, Effect of tube spacing on the vortex shedding characteristics of laminar flow past an inline tube array: a numerical study, Computers & Fluids, Vol 38, 950-964, 2009.
- C. Liang, R. Kannan, and Z. J. Wang. A p-Multigrid Spectral Difference Method with explicit and implicit smoothers on unstructured triangular grids. Computers and Fluids, 38:254-265, 2009.
- C. Liang and G. Papadakis. Large Eddy Simulation of Flow over a Staggered Tube Bundle. Journal of Fluids and Structures, 23:1215-1230, 2007.
- T Stoesser, C Liang, W Rodi, G Jirka, “Large Eddy Simulation of Fully-developed Turbulent Flow Through Submerged Vegetation”, River Flow 2006, pp. 227-234.