The Clarkson University New York State Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) is funded jointly by the University and a HEOP grant through the New York State Education Department. Clarkson HEOP offers college access and a comprehensive academic support system to assist in student academic success. The program provides a broad range of services to students who, because of academic and economic circumstances, would otherwise be unable to attend a postsecondary educational institution.
Clarkson HEOP students have access to a significant student-centered support system, including the Summer Pre-Freshman Experience (SPREE) and academic-year guidance and support.
The HEOP guidelines, developed by the State Education Department are as follows:
The applicant must
- be a New York State resident for 1 year prior to entry into HEOP
- have obtained a high school diploma or the equivalent of a State Equivalency Diploma
- demonstrate high potential and motivation for attaining a college education
- be considered economically and academically disadvantaged, as indicated in the following sections
- The student's academic profile, which includes high school grades, SAT scores and academic history, would be considered non-admissible through Clarkson’s regular admissions standards.
- The student demonstrates high potential, promise and motivation for attaining a college education.
- To be considered, the applicant must meet the income eligibility criteria as required by New York State. We will post the current criteria here as soon as it becomes available (2019).
Reference to the economic guidelines need not be made if the applicant falls into one of the following categories and documentation is sent forth: a) The student or his/her family is a recipient of payment through a New York State County Department of Social Services; b) the student is living with foster parents who do not provide support for college, and no financial assistance is provided by the natural parents; or c) the student is a ward of the state or county.