Ph.D. - 2011 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
M.S. - 2008 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
2006 Carleton University
- AE350 - Analysis of Aircraft Structures
- AE458 - Design of Aircraft Structures
Dr. Merrett has a diverse research portfolio within the field of aero-servo-viscoelasticity that includes research on aircraft instability, flight data recorders, optimization, fracture of composites, and vehicle tracking. The core of the research portfolio is the effects of a viscoelastic material on structural dynamics, in particular the critical time necessary for an instability to occur. Dr. Merrett’s current research program investigates polymer composite materials and metals exposed to elevated temperatures that appear in aerospace and nuclear engineering applications. Dr. Merrett also conducts research in unsteady aerodynamics for subsonic and supersonic panel flutter, and for off-shore wind farm wakes
- 2017 GARDN II Turboprop Flight Advisory System Enhancements, Testing and Engine Model Development
- 2016 GARDN II Turboprop Flight Advisory System
- 2014 Partners in Research - Virtual Researcher on Call, Expert Participation Award
- 2014 Carleton Student Engineering Society "Best Professor" Award
- C.G. Merrett, “Time to Flutter Theory for Viscoelastic Composite Aircraft Wings,” Composite Structures, 2016, In Press.
- C.G. Merrett, “Stability of Viscoelastic Rings Under Radial Loads with Applications to Nuclear Technology,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, 2016, 82(6): 7-15.
- J.W. Adams and C.G. Merrett, “Combined Flight Management System and Flight Data Recorder for General Aviation using Tablet Computers” AIAA SciTech 2016, San Diego, United States.
- C.G. Merrett, “Time of Flutter of a Maneuvering Viscoelastic Goland Wing,” AIAA SciTech 2016, San Diego, United States.
- C.G. Merrett, “Using textbook readings, YouTube videos, and case studies for flipped classroom instruction of engineering design,” Canadian Engineering Education Association Conference 2015, Hamilton, Canada.
- C.G. Merrett, “Time to Flutter of a Viscoelastic Goland Wing,” SciTech 2015, Kissimmee, United States.
- S. Abraham-Doman and C.G. Merrett, “Development of a Flight Data System and Experimental Determination of Aerodynamic Loads on a Wing Spar,” Proceedings AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference. SciTech 2014, National Harbor, United States.
- C. Goudie and C.G. Merrett, “Implications of Viscoelastic Properties on the Life Expectancy of GFRP Aircraft,” Proceedings 55th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/SC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference. SciTech 2014, National Harbor, United States.