National University of Singapore
Indian Institute of Technology
Dr Achuthan’s expertise is in the areas of solid mechanics and advanced materials. His group applies the principles of solid mechanics to address critical challenges in various technological applications by developing innovative solutions. Currently, his research interest is primarily in the area of the additive manufacturing of metals. He is particularly interested in studying the mechanism of microstructure evolution, the role of the evolved microstructure on mechanical properties, and various micro-scale deformation mechanisms. The insight gained from these studies is then used to develop appropriate constitutive models. Advanced experimental and computational tools are used/developed to help the investigation. These tools include: 1) material characterization techniques such as optical imaging, SEM and nanoindentation, 2) continuum based computational models such as crystal plasticity based constitutive models, finite element analysis (FEA) models, and 3) molecular dynamics (MD) models.
2016 Visiting Faculty Fellow at Naval Research Laboratory, Washington DC
2012 NASA Glenn Summer Faculty Research Fellowship
2011 “Honorable Mention” - Poster presented at ASME IMECE 2011
- Ajit Achuthan and Joshua D Gale: Methods for Modifying and Enhancing Material Properties of Additive Manufactured Metallic Parts: (Application under review, US Patent Application 20160355904)William Andrew Hennessy, Habib Vafi, Donald Earl Castleberry, Michael John Utschig, Mahadevan Balasubramaniam, Jie Jiang, Virendra Vilas Gaikwad,
- Ajit Achuthan, Le Yan: Digital x-ray detectors. General Electric Jan, 15 2009: US 20090014659, US 7495227
- William James Premerlani, Kanakasabapathi Subramanian, Christopher Keimel, John N Park, Ajit Achuthan, Wensen Wang, Joshua Isaac Wright, Kristina Margaret Korosi, Somashekhar Basavaraj: Micro-electromechanical system based soft switching. General Electric Dec, 15 2009: US 7633725, : US 20070139830
- Marko Baller, Marcin Alexy, Glenn S Claydon, Peter Joseph Codella, Stacey Kennerly, Kuna Kishore, Anis Zribi, Guiju Song, Shivappa Goravar, Ajit Achuthan: Early fouling detection. General Electric Jan, 26 2010: US 7652586, US 20080041139
- Anis Zribi, Min-Yi Shih, Guiju Song, Ajit Achuthan, Glenn Scott Claydon, Stacey Joy Kennerly, Kuna Venkat Satya Rama Kishore, Jianming Zheng, Kevin George Harding, Hua Xia: Interferometer-based real time early fouling detection system and method. General Electric Sep, 23 2008: US 7428055, US 20080084565
- Stephen Daley Arthur, Kanakasabapathi Subramanian, William James Premerlani, John N Park, Ajit Achuthan, Wensen Wang, Joshua Isaac Wright, Kristina Margaret Korosi, Somashekhar Basavaraj: Micro-electromechanical system based arc-less switching. General Electric Jun, 21 2007: US 20070139829
J Gale and A Achuthan, “Application of Ultrasonic Peening during DMLS Production of 316L Stainless Steel and its Effect on Material Behavior ”, Rapid prototyping Journal (accepted)
M. G. Moghaddam† , A. Achuthan*, B. A. Bednarcyk, S. M. Arnold and E. J. Pineda, “A Multi-scale Computational Model Combining Single Crystal Plasticity Constitutive Model with Generalized Method of Cells (GMC) for Metallic Polycrystals”, Materials, Vol 9(5), (2016), pp 335
S. A. Jayanath, A. Achuthan, M. Huang, and A. Mashue, “A sub-scale experimental test method to characterize extrusion based elastomer seals”, Journal of Tribology Vol 138(3), (2016), 032201
M. G. Moghaddam† , A. Achuthan*, B. A. Bednarcyk, S. M. Arnold and E. J. Pineda, “Development of a precipitate size-dependent crystal plasticity constitutive model for two-phase materials and its implementation on a multi-scale computational framework”, Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol 651, (2016), pp 893-903
Eisazadeh, Achuthan , J. Goldak, and D. K Aidun , “A residual stress study of similar and dissimilar welds”, Welding Journal, Vol 95(4), (2016), pp 111S-119S
Eisazadeh, A. Achuthan, J. Goldak, and D. K Aidun, “Effect of material properties and mechanical tensioning load on residual stress formation in GTA 304-A36 dissimilar weld”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 222,(2015), pp 344-355
L. Jones, A. Achuthan, and B. D. Erath, “Modal response of a computational vocal fold model with a substrate layer of adipose tissue”, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 137(2), (2015), 158-164
O. Ait Maatallah, A. Achuthan, K. Janoyan and P Marzocca, “Recursive wind speed forecasting based on Hammerstein auto-regressive model”, Applied Energy, 145, (2015), pp 191-197
M. G. Moghaddam, A. Achuthan, B. A. Bednarcyk, S. M. Arnold and E. J. Pineda, “A Multi-scale Computational Model using Generalized Method of Cells (GMC) Homogenization for Multi-Phase Single Crystal Metals”, Computational Materials Science, 96,(2014), pp 44-55.
A. Ukwatta and A. Achuthan, “A molecular dynamics (MD) simulation study to investigate the role of existing dislocations on the incipient plasticity under nanoindentation”, Computational Materials Science, 91,(2014), pp 329-338.
J. D. Gale, A. Achuthan, and D. J. Morrison, “Indentation Size Effect (ISE) in Copper Subjected to Severe Plastic Deformation (SPD)”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 45(5), (2014), 2487-2497.
J. D. Gale and A. Achuthan, “The effect of work-hardening and pile-up on nanoindentation measurements”, Journal of Materials Science, 49(14), (2014), 5066-5075.
S. Bird, A. Achuthan, O. Ait Maatallah, W. Hu, K. D. Janoyan, A. Kwasinski, J. N. Matthews, D. Mayhew, J. Owen, P. Marzocca. “Distributed (green) data centers: A new concept for energy, computing, and telecommunications”, Energy for Sustainable Development, (2014)
T. J. Arsenault, A. Achuthan, P. Marzocca, C. Grappasonni, G. Coppotelli. Development of a FBG based distributed strain sensor system for wind turbine structural health monitoring. Smart Materials and Structures, 22(7), (2013), 075027.
Z. Iverson, A. Achuthan, P. Marzocca, D. Aidun. “Optimal design of hybrid renewable energy systems (HRES) using hydrogen storage technology for data center applications”, Renewable Energy, 52, (2013), 79–87.
A. Achuthan, C. T. Sun. A study of mechanisms of domain switching in a ferroelectric material via loading rate effect. Acta Materialia, 57(13), (2009), 3868–3875.
A. Achuthan and C. T. Sun, “Domain switching in ferroelectric ceramic materials under combined loads”, Journal of Applied Physics, 97(11), (2005), 114103.
C. T. Sun and A. Achuthan, “Domain-switching criteria for ferroelectric materials subjected to electrical and mechanical loads”, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 87(3), (2004), 395-400.
A. Achuthan, A. K. Keng and W. C. Wang, “Shape control of statically indeterminate beams with piezoelectric actuators”, Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, 10(2), (2003), 145-160.
A. Achuthan, A. K. Keng and W. C. Wang, “Shape control of coupled nonlinear piezoelectric beams”, Smart Materials and Structures 10(5), (2001), 914.
A. Achuthan, A. K. Keng and W. C. Wang, “Shape control of laminated cantilevered beams with piezoelectric actuators”, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 10(2), (1999), 164-175.