Master's and PhD Applicants
Applicants must have a BS or equivalent degree in physics or a closely related subject. Applicants are expected to have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher at the time of application. Furthermore, applicants should have achieved a grade of ‘B+’ or better in all physics and math subjects taken.
A complete application file consists of the following:
- Application form
- Statement of purpose
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Transcripts of all post-secondary studies
- Test scores
- While Clarkson University has no minimum required GRE score, Physics applicants are expected to submit GRE scores of at least 300 (combined verbal and quantitative) to be competitive for admission.
- International applicants are required to provide English proficiency scores. Tests accepted and minimum required scores are: TOEFL (80), IELTS (6.5), PTE (56) and Duolingo English Test (61).
For those seeking Teaching or Research Assistantships:
- A GRE score of at least 319 is recommended (minimum verbal score of 156 and minimum quantitative score of 163).
- GRE Physics Subject Test scores are not required, but are recommended.
- International applicants should have a minimum score of 26 in each section of the TOEFL, 7.0 on each band of the IELTS (with minimum Speaking band of 7.5), or comparable PTE or Duolingo English Test scores.
Supplemental information may be submitted if desired; this could include any other information that may help us evaluate your application.
PhD placement test:
MS students interested in pursuing the PhD, will be required to sit for the placement test offered by the Department of Physics. This is offered annually in August. This score, in addition to prior academic record, publications, and teaching performance, will be considered prior to formal admittance into the PhD program.