The Ohio State University
Brigham Young University
Brigham Young University
Dr. Tyson Mackey comes to Clarkson from the University of Utah. His research focuses on pushing the boundaries of research methodology in strategic management--particularly in the areas of corporate diversification and corporate social responsibility. He has published his research in Strategic Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Strategic Organization, among other outlets. His Ph.D. is in Business Policy and Strategy from the Ohio State University. He also has an MBA and a BS in economics from Brigham Young University. He enjoys his wife, daughters (14 & 11), and son (4), as well as cooking for each of them.
Corporate Social Responsibility, Corporate Strategy, Entrepreneurship, Strategic Human Capital, Strategic Management
- Best Paper BPS Division, Academy of Management (Sumantra Ghoshal Research & Practice Award) 2013
- Orfalea College of Business Summer Research Grant 2011
- Orfalea College of Business Summer Research Grant 2008
- Honorable Mention, SMS Best Conference Paper Prize 2005
- Booz Allen Hamilton/SMS PhD Fellowship 2005
- Second Place, 19th Annual Edward Hayes Graduate Research Forum, for “Diversification, Payout Policy, and Firm Value" 2005
- First Place, 18th Annual Edward Hayes Graduate Research Forum, for “Is the Industry Effect Constant Over Time?" 2004
- Roger and Marilyn Victor Scholarship, Marriott School of Management 2001
- Marriott School of Management Scholarship 2000
- National Merit Scholar 1995
- Corporate Diversification and the Value of Individual Firms: A Bayesian Approach, Strategic Management Journal, 2017, Vol. 38 Issue 2: 322-341, with Jay Barney and Jeffrey Dotson.
- Incorporating Opportunity Costs in Strategic Management Research: The Value of Diversification and Payout as Opportunities Forgone when Reinvesting in the Firm, Strategic Organization, 2013, Vol. 11, No 4: 347-363, with Jay Barney
- Punishment versus Reward in All-pay Contests with Perfect Information, Economics Bulletin, 2012, Vol. 32, No. 4: 3090-3097, with Jason J. Lepore and Alison Mackey.
- Corporate Social Responsibility and Firm Performance: Investor Preferences and Corporate Strategies, Academy of Management Review, 2007, Vol. 32: 817-835, with Alison Mackey and Jay Barney.
- Is there a Diversification Discount? Diversification, Payout Policy, and Firm Value, Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings, 2006
- Senior Management Preferences and Corporate Social Responsibility, in Crane, A., McWilliams,
- Abigail., Matten, D., Moon, J., and Siegel, Don S., Oxford Handbook of Corporate Social Re-
- sponsibility, 2008. p. 532-542, with Jay Barney and Alison Mackey.
- Testing Resource-Based Theory, in Ketchen, David J. and Bergh, Donald D., Research Method-
- ology in Strategy and Management, Vol. 2. Bangalore: Elsevier Ltd. 2005. p.1-13, with Jay
- As Time Goes By. Academy of Management Review, 2002. Vol. 27, p. 306. (Book Review),
- with Nile W. Hatch.
- Motivating CSR: A Comparison of Carrots versus Sticks in Triggering Managerial Action (with Jason Lepore, Alison Mackey, and Lisa Jones Christensen) [Under review at Business & Society]
- Sticking with It: Founder Practices and the Persistence of Heterogeneous Values (with David A. Whetten, Brayden King, and Alison Mackey) [Paper drafted]
- On the Impact of Slope Endogeneity in Strategy Research (with Anup Nandialath and Jeffrey Dotson) [Data analysis stage]
- Causes and Consequences of CEO Pay (with Alison Mackey, Jeffrey Dotson, and Jay Barney) [Data analysis stage]