Dean Poeth, Ph.D., P.E., C.Mfg.E. is a hands-on expert in productivity improvement and cost reduction who has worked in all areas of engineering, manufacturing, and technical management including research, design, and production of mechanical, electronic, and electromechanical systems. Dr. Poeth has participated in, managed, and coordinated a wide variety of multidisciplinary industrial and government programs to reduce costs and improve productivity.
Dr. Poeth holds a Ph.D. in Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering from Penn State University. He is a licensed professional engineer (P.E.), a Certified Manufacturing Engineer (C.Mfg.E.), a certified six sigma black belt, and a member of the national engineering honors society (Tau Beta Pi), the industrial engineering honors society (Alpha Pi Mu) and the Phi Kappa Phi honors society.
He has been teaching at Clarkson University’s Capital Region Campus since 2005. His career has spanned 29 years, and he has worked and consulted for several companies including Battelle Memorial Institute where he worked on projects for Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
Dr. Poeth is retired from Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory where he was a subject matter expert in applying advanced statistical methods, modeling, and data analysis to improve business productivity and reduce costs.
His outside interests include writing, playing the harpsichord, making maple syrup, running, and cross country skiing.
Reducing costs and improving productivity in government and industry with a focus on helping small businesses. Dr. Poeth has consulted for companies with as few as 12 employees.
- Dean Poeth Exposé, Knolls Operations Community Newsletter, December 2017.
- 2015 Certified Lean Six Sigma Black Belt
- Award from Admiral Bowman, a four-star admiral and the Director of the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program, US Navy (2001).
- Discrete-event simulation model and analysis for a Corporate Manager. $300 recognition award (2014).
- 2005 Department of Energy certificate of recognition.
- 2005 NOVA Chairman’s Award.
- 2005 Kermis Board of Directors.
- 2004 Team Award Recognized for outstanding cross-sectional and cross-functional team performance on a process improvement initiative.
- 2002 - 2004 NOVA Board of Directors.
- 2001 Team Award.
- 1999 Recognition Award. $500 award.
- 1994 Critical skill hire, Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory.
- National Engineering Honors Society (Tau Beta Pi).
- Industrial Engineering Honors Society (Alpha Pi Mu).
- Honors Society (Phi Kappa Phi).
- Two Varsity Letter Awards, The Ohio State University Athletic Department.
- 2018 Invited Panelist, 50th Anniversary Statistics Conference, Penn State University
- Member of a team of Clarkson faculty (with A. Bowman, P.Otto, J. Oppenlander, J.Carlson, N.Doganakosoy) who outlined a master’s degree program in analytics (2012)
- Teamed with Jane Oppenlander and Phylise Banner to convert MBA 506 into an online course
- Implemented the use of a round table in MBA 506 and MER 573 to obtain actionable student feedback mid-course
- Contributed to a Union Graduate College article on my MER 573 course
- Patent award ($400 award) 2013.
- Ten Patent Disclosure Awards, 1994-2004.
- Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory 2017 Innovation Expo, Radioactive Materials Laboratory Cellular Manufacturing Assessment.
- Electronic Conference on Teaching Statistics, 2014 Teaching the Ethics of Big Data.
- Electronic Conference on Teaching Statistics, 2014 (with J.E. Oppenlander) Integrating Writing in the Statistics Curriculum.
- Electronic Conference on Teaching Statistics, 2012 Challenger Disaster; a Case Study Examining High-Consequence Statistical Data.
- Invited Speaker, ASM / TMS Spring Symposium, 2006 A Method for Evaluating Manufacturing Damage in Monolithic and Composite Materials.
- Invited Speaker, 2nd Annual Tech Valley Engineering Symposium, 2006 Manufacturing Management Strategies for the Small Business Competing in an Offshoring Economy.
- D.F. Poeth, Radioactive Materials Laboratory Capacity Improvement, Knolls Operations Community News, June/July 2017
- D.F. Poeth, " Op-ed: Let your competitors teach you," Sunday, March 18, 2012, Daily Gazette, Schenectady, NY
- D.F. Poeth, " Op-ed: Public misbehavior illustrates need to revive ethical standards," Sunday, April 3, 2011, Daily Gazette, Schenectady, NY
- D.F. Poeth, " Op-ed: What employers need," Sunday, December 5, 2010, Daily Gazette, Schenectady, NY
- D.F. Poeth, " Op-ed: Manufacturers must cut waste and inefficiency to survive," Sunday, June 6, 2010, Daily Gazette, Schenectady, NY
- D.F. Poeth, “The Design of a Zero Force Switch for use in Industrial Soldering Guns,” 1996, International Journal of Industrial Engineering
- D.F. Poeth, C.O. Ruud, “The Measurement of Neutron Cross Sections for Contrast-Enhancing Penetrant Fluids,” 1996, Research in Nondestructive Evaluation
- D.F. Poeth, “The Experimental Determination of the Neutron Cross Section for Selected Solvents (Final Report),” August 1993, Radiation Science and Engineering Center 38th Annual Progress Report, U.S. Department of Energy