University of California - Irvine
University of California - Riverside
University of Science and Technology of China
Dr. Liu's research has been focusing on capturing, modeling and monitoring the software behavior at run-time using hardware-level information. At his leisure time, Dr. Liu enjoys reading, movies, hiking and gardening. He is also an avid tennis player.
Processor architecture: multi/many-core multi-threading architecture
Interaction between operating system and micro-architecture
Hardware acceleration techniques and reconfigurable computing
Air Force Research Lab (AFRL) Summer Faculty Fellow 2015 - 2016
Air Force Research Lab (AFRL) Visiting Faculty Research Fellow 2013
National Science Foundation (NSF) Broadening Participation Research Initiation Grant in Engineering (BRIGE) 2011-2016
National Science Foundation (NSF) Major Research Instrumentation (MRI) Grant 2016-2019
1. Charles McGuffey, Chen Liu and Stephanie Schuckers, “Hardware Accelerator Approach Towards Efficient Biometric Cryptosystems for Network Security”, CIT Journal of Computing and Information Technology, 2016
2. Gildo Torres, Paul McCall, Chen Liu, Mercedes Cabrerizo, and Malek Adjouadi, “EEG Processing: A Many-Core Approach Utilizing the Intel Single-Chip Cloud Computer Platform”, International Journal of Embedded Systems (IJES), 2016
3. Lichen Weng and Chen Liu, “A Resource Utilization Based Instruction Fetch Policy for SMT Processors”, Microprocessors and Microsystems (MICPRO), Vol. 39, No. 1, Pages 1-10, February 2015
4. Chen Liu, Pollawat Thanarungroj, and Jean-Luc Gaudiot, “How Many Cores do We Need to Run a Parallel Workload: A Test Drive of the Intel SCC Platform?” Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing (JPDC), Vol. 74, No. 7, pp. 2582-2595, July 2014.
5. Gildo Torres, Chen Liu, Jed Kao-Tung Chang, Fang Hua, and Stephanie Schuckers, “An Auto-tuning Assisted Power-Aware Study of Iris Matching Algorithm on Intel's SCC”, The Journal of Signal Processing Systems (JSPS), May 2014.
6. Gildo Torres and Chen Liu, “Adaptive Virtual Machine Management in the Cloud: A Performance-Counter-Driven Approach”, International Journal of Systems and Service-Oriented Engineering (IJSSOE), Vol. 4, No. 2, Pages 28-43, April 2014
7. Jie Tang, Chen Liu, Shaoshan Liu, and Jean-Luc Gaudiot, “Practical models for energy-efficient prefetching in mobile embedded systems”, Microprocessors and Microsystems (MICPRO), Vol. 37, No. 8, Part D, pp. 1173–1182, 2013.
8. Jie Tang, Shaoshan Liu, Chen Liu, Zhimin Gu, and Jean-Luc Gaudiot, “Acceleration of XML Parsing Through Prefetching”, IEEE Transactions on Computers (TC), Vol. 62, No. 8, pp.1616-1628, 2013.
9. Jie Tang, Pollawat Thanarungroj, Chen Liu, Shaoshan Liu, Zhimin Gu, and Jean-Luc Gaudiot, “Pinned OS/Services: A Case Study of XML Parsing on Intel SCC”, Journal of Computer Science and Technology (JCST), Vol. 28, No.1, pp.3-13, 2013.
10. Shaoshan Liu, Won W. Ro, Chen Liu, Alfredo C. Salas, Christophe Cérin, Jian-Jun Han, and Jean-Luc Gaudiot, “Introducing the Extremely Heterogeneous Architecture”, Journal of Interconnection Networks (JOIN), Vol. 13, No. 03n04, 2012.
11. Pasd Putthapipat, Jean Andrian, and Chen Liu, “Studies on Inter-component Communication Latency based on Variation Number of Components and Packet size in SDR-SCA Waveform Application”, International Journal of Computational Science and Engineering (IJCSE), 2012
12. Chen Liu, Omar Granados, Rolando Duarte, and Jean Andrian, “Energy Efficient Architecture Using Hardware Acceleration for Software Defined Radio Components”, Journal of Information Processing Systems (JIPS), Vol. 8, No. 1, pp.133-144, 2012.
13. Chen Liu, Roland Duarte, Omar Granados, Jie Tang, Shaoshan Liu and Jean Andrian, “Critical Path Based Hardware Acceleration for Cryptosystems”, International Journal of Advancements in Computing Technology (IJACT), Vol. 4, No.1, pp.438-452, 2012.
14. Jie Tang, Shaoshan Liu, Zhimin Gu, Chen Liu and Jean-Luc Gaudiot, “Prefetching in Embedded Mobile Systems Can Be Energy-Efficient”, IEEE Computer Architecture Letters, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 8-11, 2011.
15. Dongsoo Kang, Chen Liu, and Jean-Luc Gaudiot, “The Impact of Speculative Execution on SMT Processors”, International Journal of Parallel Programming (IJPP), Vol. 36, No. 4, pp.361-385, 2008