I am an Associate Professor in the Institute for STEM Education at Clarkson University and an affiliate of Clarkson’s Mathematics Department. I earned my BS and PhD from the University of Iowa and received a master’s degree in Mathematical Finance from Boston University. My research concentrates on developing new strategies and best practices for bringing innovation and active learning into K-16 STEM classrooms, with particular emphasis on mathematical modeling.
- STEM education
- Mathematical modeling education
- Computational thinking in math classrooms
- Mathematics of sustainability
- Cultural competency and teaching in the STEM classroom
- QUBES Faculty Mentoring Fellow (2017)
- Henry L. Alder Award (2016), Mathematical Association of America award to honor beginning college or university faculty whose teaching has been extra ordinarily successful and whose effectiveness in teaching undergraduate mathematics is shown to have influence beyond their own classrooms.
- Sustainability Education Fellow (2014 – 15), Identified by the Disciplinary Associations Network for Sustainability (DANS), identified for efforts to disseminate mathematics of sustainability.
- Project NExT (New Experiences in Teaching) Fellow (2009)
- Co-Principal Investigator, Clarkson University Noyce Scholarship Program, NSF, with PI S. Rivera, et. al. $1,122,549
- Co-PI, Computing with R for Mathematical Modeling, NSF STEM + Computing Partnerships Program, with J. Chao (Concord Consortium) and E. Simoneau (33 SIGMA Learning Labs). $1,850,959.
- CDC Research Director, Clarkson University IMPETUS, NYSED, with PI K. Kavanagh, PI M. Ramsdell, et. al. $1,597,500
- Co-Director, Math-Science Partnership – Salmon River Central School District, NYSED, with K. Kavanagh and P. Turner, $50,000
- Co-Director, Math-Science Partnership – Beacon City School District, NYSED, with K. Kavanagh and P. Turner, $45,206
K. Wiedemann, J. Chao, B. Galluzzo, E. Simoneau, “Mathematical Modeling with R: Embedding Computational Thinking into High School Math Classes,” ACM Inroads, March 2020.
K. Bliss, B. Galluzzo, K. Kavanagh, J. Skufca, “Incorporating Math Modeling into the Undergraduate Curriculum: What the GAIMME Report has to Offer Faculty”, PRIMUS: Problems, Resources, and Issues in Mathematics Undergraduate Studies, July 2018.
K. Bliss, B. Galluzzo, K. Kavanagh, R. Levy, Math Modeling: Computing and Communicating, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia, 2018.
S. Garfunkel and M. Montgomery (Editors), K. Bliss, K. Fowler, B. Galluzzo, et. al., Guidelines for Assessment and Instruction in Mathematical Modeling Education (GAIMME) Report, Consortium for Mathematics and Its Applications and Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 2016.
B. Galluzzo, J. McGivney-Burelle and R. Wagstrom, “What is My Carbon Footprint?”, Mathematics Teacher, 109 (7), March 2016.
B. Galluzzo (Chair), W. Bauldry, K. Fowler, R. Wagstrom and M. Walter. Report on the Environmental Science and Climate Studies, Chapter in the Undergraduate Programs and Courses in the Mathematical Sciences: CUPM Curriculum Guide 2015. The Mathematical Association of America, 2015.
K. Bliss, K. Fowler, and B. Galluzzo, Math Modeling: Getting Started and Getting Solutions”, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 2014.