McGill University, Montreal Canada
McGill University, Montreal Canada
Dr. Rossner is Director of Environmental Health Science and Environmental Science & Policy undergraduate programs at Clarkson University. He is also Associate Director of Clarkson’s Institute for a Sustainable Environment. Prior to coming to Clarkson University in 1995, he spent 10 years working as an industrial hygienist with Oregon OSHA (2 years), The Boeing Company (5 years) and as an industrial hygiene consultant (3 years) in the Northwest. His teaching and research interests are in human exposure to hazardous chemicals and agents. While at Clarkson, Dr. Rossner has conducted research in the areas of industrial hygiene and environmental health science. Dr. Rossner has served as Chair of the AIHA - Risk Assessment Committee and taught in a variety of Professional development courses over the last two decades. He is board certified in the Comprehensive Practice of Industrial Hygiene by the American Board of Industrial Hygiene and an AIHA Fellow.
A continuing challenge in environmental and occupational health is that of accurately estimating an individual’s long-term exposure to the multitude of airborne contaminants found in our work and community environments. These challenges are further magnified by the constant influx of new chemicals and new processes into our living and working environments. Research into improved exposure assessment strategies and air sampling methodologies that better characterize individuals’ exposures are necessary to further our understanding of the health effects related to airborne contaminants. To that end, Dr. Rossner has tried to direct his research in areas that minimize people’s exposure to contaminants, improve working conditions, improve living conditions and minimize risk of disease. His current research projects encompass three areas: 1) The development of air sampling methodologies, 2) Exposure assessment strategies for occupational and environmental air sampling, and 3) Indoor/outdoor air contaminant monitoring.
Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Teaching Award, Clarkson University, 2015
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Clarkson University Student Association, 2005
- Elected to the Board of Directors of American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) January 2014 to January 2016 and again 2017-2019
- Rossner, A., Jordan, C., Wake,C., Monitoring of CO in Residences with Bulk Wood Pellet Storage in the Northeast, Accepted Journal of Air & Waste Management Association, 67 (10), 1066-1079 (2017)
- Rahman, M., P.K. Hopke,, PK., Rossner, A., Occupational Exposure of Aldehydes Resulting from the Storage of Wood Pellets, Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, 14:6. 417-426 (2017).
- Soto-Garcia, L., William J. Ashley, Sandar Bregg, Drew Walier, Ryan LeBouf , P.K. Hopke, A. Rossner, VOCs Emissions from Multiple Wood Pellet Types and Concentrations in Indoor Air., Energy & Fuels, 29:6485-6493 (2015).
- Alkasir, RSJ, Rossner, A., Andreescu, S.,, Portable Colorimetric Paper-Based Biosensing Device for the Assessment of Bisphenol A in Indoor Dust. Environmental Science and Technology 49 (16), pp 9889–9897(2015).
- Soto-Garcia, L., X. Huang, D. Thimmaiah, Zach Denton P.K. Hopke, A. Rossner, Carbon Monoxide Emission Rates from Wood Pellets, Energy & Fuels, 29:3715-3724 (2015).
- Soto-Garcia, L., X. Huang, D. Thimmaiah, A. Rossner, P.K. Hopke, Exposures to Carbon Monoxide from Off Gassing of Bulk Stored Wood Pellets, Energy & Fuels, 29:218-226 (2015).
- M. Amouei Torkmahalleh, Y. Zhao, V. Kattamuri, A. Rossner, P. K. Hopke, A. R. Ferro, “The Impact of additives on PM2.5 and ultrafine particles emission fluxes during heating of commercial cooking oils” Atmospheric Environment 74 194-198 2013.
- Kalenge, S., Lebouf, RF., Rossner, A Hopke, PK., Benedict, A., Exposure assessment of outdoor BTEX concentrations to residents on the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe reservation at Akwesasne New York State. Air Quality, Atmosphere & Health (2013), Volume 6, Issue 1, pp 181-193
Other Selected Products
- Rossner, A., Cumulative Risk Assessment: Occupational and Environmental assessment in buildings with vapor intrusion concerns. Central New York Air and Waste Management Association & AIHA Technical Symposium, Skaneateles, NY, March 28, 2017.
- Rossner, A., Alkasir, RSJ, Andreescu, S.,, Colorimetric Paper-Based Biosensing Device for the Assessment of Bisphenol A in Indoor Dust. International Society of Exposure Science (ISES) 2016 Annual Meeting in Utrecht, NL, October 10, 2016
- Rossner, A., Ryan LeBouf, R., Carroll, M., Sullivan, E., Exposure Assessment Using a Long Term Sampling with Evacuated Canisters in both Occupational and Non-Occupational Indoor Environments. International Society of Exposure Science (ISES) 2016 Annual Meeting in Utrecht, NL, October 12, 2016
- Rossner, A. Electronic Cigarettes and Find Particulate Matter Exposure, AIHce 2016 Roundtable: Electronic Cigarette Risks, Emissions, and Controls, American Industrial Hygiene Conference and Exposition (AIHce), Baltimore, MD, May 3, 2016.
- Andreescu, S Rossner, A., Alkasir, RSJ., A Portable Colorimetric Biosensor for Real-Time Personal Exposure Assessment to Bisphenol A in Indoor Environments. American Industrial Hygiene Conference and Exposition (AIHce), Baltimore, MD, May 26, 2016.
- Rossner, A., A Comparison of Canisters and Solid Sorbent Tubes for Air Sampling of Volatile Organic Compounds in indoor environments for 14 to 21days. American Industrial Hygiene Conference and Exposition (AIHce), Salt Lake City, UT, June 1, 2015.
- Rossner, A., Exposure Assessment of E-cigarettes: Particulate matter, metals and VOCs as they relate to human health. Society of Risk Analysis Conference, Dec 8, 2015.
- Marcham, CL., Springston, JP., Rossner, A., et al. White Paper: Electronic Cigarettes in the Indoor Environment. American Industrial Hygiene Association, https://www.aiha.org/government-affairs/Documents/Electronc Cig Document_Final.pdf
- Rossner, A., Dotson, G. S., Maier, A., Boelter, F. W., Williams, P., Ripple, S. D., & Heckman, B. J. (2012). Risk Assessment’s New Era, Part 4: Roadmap for Integrating Risk and Decision Making into Industrial Hygiene. Synergist (Akron, Ohio), 23(8), 30.
- Rossner, A. Dotson, GS. Risk Assessment’s New Era Part 3: Vision of the AIHA Risk Assessment Committee (RAC), Synergist, AIHA, June 2012.