I was raised in Gunungkidul, a karst plateau in the Province of Yogyakarta, Indonesia. I moved to the city of Yogyakarta to study at Gadjah Mada University. Following a four-year stint as an English teacher, tutor, translator, and secretary, I received a Fulbright scholarship to attend Cornell University in Ithaca, New York where I completed my Master of Arts in Comparative Literature. After Cornell, I taught at Sanata Dharma University in Indonesia for four years before being awarded a second Fulbright scholarship to pursue my doctorate degree in Comparative Literature at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I speak Javanese (my mother tongue) and Indonesian (my national language), and have studied Hindi and Sanskrit for my research.
Comparative Literature Ph.D. - 2016 University of Wisconsin-Madison
Comparative Literature M.A - 2008 University of Wisconsin-Madison
Comparative Literature M.A. - 2003 Cornell University
English (Sarjana Sastra) B.A - 1997 Gadjah Mada University (Indonesia)
- Rebels and Heroes
- Close Encounters of the X Kinds
- Tales from the Tropics
- Women Acting Out
- Vilas Research Travel Award for dissertation research, UW-Madison (2012)
- Center for Southeast Asian Studies Field Research Award ,for fieldwork in Indonesia, UW-Madison (2012)
- Campus-wide Teaching Assistant Award (Exceptional Service Award), UW-Madison (2010), http://www.news.wisc.edu/17680
Social Science Research Council (SSRC) travel grant, to participate at the Young Scholars Forum at the International Conference on Urban Revolutions in the Age of Global Urbanism, Jakarta, March 2012, http://blog.lib.umn.edu/marin013/jakarta2012/young-scholars-forum.html
- “Introduction—(Be)Longing, Exile, and the In-Between World: Displacement Figures in Indonesian Diaspora.
- ” In International Journal of Diaspora & Cultural Criticism, Vol. 8, No. 1 (Jan 2018). “Marvelous Realism or Critical Realism? Iwan Simatupang’s Ziarah and the Question Concerning the Perception of Reality.” In Language, Literature, Society. Ed. Harris Setiajid. Yogyakarta: Sanata Dharma University Press, 2016.
- “Quo Vadis Sastra Banding Amerika?” [“Comparative Literature in the United States”]. In Politik Sastra Banding, Potret Abad 20 dan 21. Ed. Muh. Arif Rokhman. Yogyakarta: Aditya Media Yogyakarta, 2007
Nature Photography Portfolio:
Featured on Wisconsin Public Radio’s “Wisconsin Life”:
Featured on Badger Insider, The Magazine for Wisconsin Alumni Association Members (Summer 2018)
Featured on Grow, Wisconsin Magazine for the Life Sciences (print and online):
Featured on a YouTube video produced by Wisconsin Alumni Office: