Scheduling an Appointment

Students can set up appointments at SHAC; which is located on the first floor of the ERC, Suite 1300, by calling (315) 268-6633. Currently, we are not accepting walk-in appointments. However, we are serving appointment slots for same day appointments. Once you arrive for your appointment, please call SHAC to notify of your arrival. We ask that students do not request appointments with SHAC via e-mail, as e-mail is not a confidential form of communication. Please call or come in!

During the academic year, SHAC is open Monday through Friday from 8:00am –  4:30pm. SHAC is also open to students during the summer, Monday through Friday, generally from 8am – 4pm.

Services Offered

Health Services
  • Evaluation for Illness or Injury
  • Women's Health: including gynecological care, birth control, emergency contraception.*
  • STD and HIV Testing and treatment*
  • Immunizations* (MMR, Tdap, PPD)
  • Influenza Vaccination, offered through local partnership, clinic throughout the Fall semester
  • Allergy Injections*
  • Physicals*
  • Travel Consults
  • Referrals
  • Health Education and Counseling
    (*) indicates fee for service, please call 315.268.6633 for additional information
Counseling Services

Students request counseling service for a variety of reason, including: 

  • Anxiety
  • Adjustment to change
  • Bereavement and grief
  • Depression
  • Sexual assault or harassment
  • Substance abuse
  • Self-esteem
  • Academic Problems
  • Relationship issues
  • Body image and eating disorders
  • Sexuality
  • Gender Identity

Lab and x-ray orders can be obtained at SHAC and students are referred to St. Lawrence Health System, Canton Potsdam Hospital.

The SHAC center has a very limited pharmacy and does not fill prescriptions on-site. Prescription medications can be filled at local pharmacies. If you have a routine medication and are interested in receiving refills at the health center during the academic year, please call 315.268.6633 for more information.


As the Student Health and Counseling Center we are legally and ethically obligated to protect every student’s right to privacy.

Health and counseling records are strictly confidential and maintained in compliance with federal and New York State laws, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

We will not release information to anyone outside the Center including family, parent/legal guardians, Clarkson University faculty/staff, or outside agencies without the written authorization of the student, unless required by law.

In the case of a minor, the authorization of a parent or legal guardian is required to release medical records. In a medical emergency, only relevant health information will be released to another healthcare provider. If you wish to release your records to another provider, authorization forms are available at the center.

If you have any specific questions not answered below, please call the Student Health and Counseling Center.

Information for New Students

All health requirements are completed on our Patient Portal, paper forms are not accepted. Please log into your PeopleSoft account, under your "To do" list you will find your missing requirements. You may follow this link ( to our Patient Portal

What Health information is required?
  • Proof of Immunization against Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (Required for all students): You must have an official copy of your immunization history, the immunization record must be in English, copies of booklets are not accepted. New Your State requires students born on or after January 1, 1957 to submit proof of immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella. Those born prior to January 1, 1957 must have one does of MMR or serology proof of immunity. 

  • COVID vaccinations are not required to attend Clarkson University, but are recommended. Additionally, some specific programs may require the COVID vaccinations, such as the Health Sciences Department, in order to participate in their external programs with different hospital systems. If you are unsure if COVID vaccination is required for your program, please contact them.

  • Tuberculosis (TB) screening form (Required for all students): this form must be completed and electronically signed (by student over 18, or parent/legal guardian). If IGRA bloodwork is required the lab results must be uploaded. If the results of the IGRA bloodwork are positive or indeterminate you must have a chest x-ray before you arrive on campus and upload the radiology results. Please note, PPDs are only accepted for Graduate Health Professions; all other students must complete IGRA bloodwork if required. (If IGRA blood work is required and not completed prior to admission, the cost to the student will be $110; if a chest x-ray is required and not completed prior to arrival the cost will be charged to the student).

  • Meningococcal Meningitis Response Form (Required for all students who have not been vaccinated): Students who have not received a meningitis vaccination within the last 5 years must complete this form. If the student is under 18, it must be signed by a parent/guardian. The Meningitis Response Form is a New York State Public Health Law.

  • Insurance Information Health Insurance coverage is mandatory at Clarkson University for non-distance program students. Students must either have Health Insurance through their parent/guardian’s policy, their own policy, or enroll in Clarkson’s plan; if you do not have health insurance please call Student Achievement Services (SAS) at 315.268.6451 to purchase the college plan.

  • Medical History Questionnaire (Optional) Clarkson University works hard to assure the health and safety of its students. Information regarding your past and present health is important for attaining this goal. A physical is only required for Graduate Health Professions, ROTC, and Athletics.

  • Additional Requirements for Graduate Health Professions (PA, PT, & OT)

    • Varicella- 2 Immunizations or Positive Titer Results

    • Tdap vaccine within 10 years

    • Hep B- 3 Immunizations or Positive Titer Results

    • Physical – will be required prior to clinical work, **Please contact the Health Center at 315.268.6633 before you complete this requirement**

    • PPD – a 2-step PPD will be required prior to clinical work, **Please contact the Health Center at 315.268.6633 before you complete this requirement**

Health Services FAQ's

Can students be seen at SHAC on a "walk-in" basis?
Unfortunately, no, not at this time. Given current restrictions in place, we are unable to accommodate walk-in appointments. However, we will leave appointment slots available for same-day appointments. Please be sure to call to schedule an appointment! 

What if a student needs medical attention when SHAC is closed?
For non-emergency medical attention students are directed to The Urgent Care Center in Potsdam, NY (49 Lawrence Ave) open every day 8am-8pm, or CPH Afterhours Clinic located in Canton, NY (approximately 11 miles from campus) open Monday-Friday 4pm to 9 pm, Saturday 9am to 5pm, and Sunday 9am to 5pm.

For emergency medical attention students are referred to Canton-Potsdam Hospital Emergency Room (50 Leroy Street) which is located in the Village of Potsdam approximately one mile from the Clarkson campus. 

Please note The Urgent Care Center, CPH afterhours clinic and Canton Potsdam Hospital’s billing is not associated with Clarkson University and you may encounter a charge if you do not have accepted medical insurance coverage. 

If I have a prescription; can I get it filled at SHAC?
No, we do not fill prescriptions at the SHAC. If you have a prescription to be filled, the local pharmacies are Kinney Drugs, Walgreens, or Wal-Mart (all within 5 miles of campus) or Price Chopper in Canton (approx. 11 miles)

Will my parents be notified if I have been to SHAC, or if I am sick?
No. Treatment obtained at SHAC is confidential and we will only discuss your visit with individual(s) listed on a consent signed by the student receiving services.

Are there any recommended health-related items students should bring to Clarkson University?
Yes, students will need to bring any ongoing prescription medications.

We also recommend the following health-related items:

  • Health Insurance Card/or copy
  • Thermometer
  • Band Aids
  • Fever reducer/pain reliever medications such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen
  • Cough and cold medication
  • Reusable cold packs
  • Ace bandage
Counseling Services FAQ's

Is there any cost for counseling services? 
There is no additional cost for students to see our counselors.

Can parents talk to the counselor about their son/daughter?
Students must request services for themselves. Information about a student's involvement is confidential under FERPA and cannot be released to others without the student's written permission.

Can a student get psychopharmacological medications through SHAC?
The Health Center has providers that can assess the need for, and prescribe, a student a limited selection of anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medications. SHAC also contracts with Mantra Health to provide telehealth prescriber services for mental health related medication by psychiatric nurse practitioners.

Can you make referrals to outside private practitioners?
SHAC staff refers to both local outside private practitioners as well as professionals local to the student’s home community.  In St. Lawrence County, there are limited psychiatric services available to students, but the staff makes every effort to connect a student to the best resources available.


Crisis Services

If you require immediate assistance please call campus safety at (315) 268-6666 or call 911.

Health Related Crisis

Life threatening health emergencies should report directly to the nearest emergency room, and, may require transport by ambulance to the nearest emergency room. If you are experiencing a life-threatening medical emergency, please call 911, or campus safety and security (315-268-6666)

For non-life threatening concerns you may schedule an appointment to be evaluated by a medical provider at SHAC. 


Counseling/Mental Health Crisis

During normal business hours, counseling services has crisis hours set aside for individuals who need to be seen the same day.  If an you need to be seen immediately, due to a crisis situation, a counselor will be made available. Counselors are on call 24/7 at the request of campus safety and the area coordinators for mental health emergencies. If you wish to speak with a counselor after hours about an urgent, confidential and/or sensitive issue you can make a request to either the area coordinators or to a campus safety officer and only need to indicate that you need to speak with a counselor regarding a confidential matter.  No further information need be divulged.