Our wind tunnel lab houses the low and high speed subsonic wind tunnels. Both tunnels feature a 3 foot by 4 foot test section. The high speed tunnel can reach speeds of 175 mph and the low speed tunnel, equipped with a HEPA filter on the contrcation, can reach speeds up to 30 mph
Low Speed Tunnel
The low speed, Eiffel type open-circuit tunnel is capable of producing wind speeds between 2 and 30 mph. The tunnel will simulate atmospheric conditions for the development of new tools in modeling, measurement and flow management.
- Test section dimensions: 48” wide x 36” tall x 60” long. The ceiling, floor and sidewalls are 1” thick SAR grade acrylic.
- Air flow rates from less than 1m/s to more than 12 m/s.
- Inlet air quality is established through 228 sq. ft. of HEPA filter.
- Fibrous and spherical aerosols ranging from 1 nm to 100 micrometers can be introduced into the air-stream.
- The tunnel design uses fiberglass reinforced plastic with a balsa wood core for reduced vibration and acoustic attenuation.
High Speed Tunnel
The high speed tunnel is equipped with a 6-degree of freedom internal force balance and a 3-D traversing system. It is used primarily for force measurements on flight and ground vehicles.