Course Requirements and Prerequisites
Students pursuing the pre-teaching track, or those interested in a pre-teaching minor, would complete the following course of study:
- Foreign language elective (3 credits)
- PY 246 Educational Psychology (3 credits)
- COMM 217 Introduction to Public Speaking (3 credits)
- STEM 330/STEM 530 Analyzing Science and Mathematical Theories from Philosophical and Historical Perspectives (for STEM majors)(3 credits)+
HST 388/ HST 588 East Asia Studies (for History majors)(3 credits)+
MA 453/MA553 Introduction to Mathematical Teaching (for Math majors)(3 credits)
- ED 360/ED560 Modern Teacher (3 Credits)+
- Educational Field Experience (1 credits)
- Independent Study: Student would observe 25 hours in secondary classrooms and complete a paper
Prerequisites for the Master of Arts in Teaching
Students interested in applying for the Clarkson Master of Arts in Teaching program (offered at the Capital Region Campus in Schenectady, New York) need to meet the following requirements:
- A minimum of 24 credits in a major field (biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, history). Students who complete a more comprehensive plan of study with 30 or more credits are considered more competitive applicants.
- A course in Education Psychology, PY 246. This course is offered by the Department of Psychology every spring.
- A semester of foreign language study. This requirement may be filled by taking a language class at Clarkson, on a consortium campus, or at any other accredited college. The requirement may also be filled by transferring in AP language credit from a high school course (score of 3 or higher).
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Four days of observatioin in a middle and high school. Clarkson's Department of Education, along with your pre-teaching advisor can help you make arrangements for these observations.