All incoming first-year students have, in addition to their faculty/professional advisor, access to a first-year advisor who works with them individually to make sure that
- they are making satisfactory academic progress
- they are adjusting well personally to college academic life
- they are identifying and addressing any other problems they may be experiencing as early as possible.
First-year advising is for students who want extra guidance.
Many students want to tailor their education to pursue multiple interests; others are still deciding on their career direction. In either case, first-year advising can help! Among our services, we can
- create an academic plan so you can discover and pursue new interests. In fact, you can get started now by taking a short online quiz.
- plan your major or course enrollment. Actually, many freshmen decide to investigate different options in their first year by enrolling in our University Studies Program.
- answer questions about degree or program requirements
- help you to cope with academic difficulties
- work with you to make informed decisions about your educational goals
- identify independent research opportunities and team-based projects
- help you effectively deal with stress caused by classes, roommates, a change of environment or academic uncertainty