Total Withdrawal from the University - Federal Title IV and Institutional Aid Refund Policy

There are occasions when a student may leave the University prior to the completion of a term.  If a student officially withdraws from the University, takes a leave of absence, unofficially withdraws or is dismissed during the semester, for the purposes of financial aid both situations are treated as a withdrawal.

A student intending to leave the University must contact Student Administration Services to begin the official withdrawal process.

The law specifies how Clarkson must determine the amount of the Title IV program assistance a student has earned as of the date of withdrawal. The Title IV programs that are covered by this law are: Federal Pell Grants, Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants, Federal Direct Student Loans, PLUS loans, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) and Federal Perkins Loans.

When a student withdraws from the University during the term, the amount of Title IV program assistance that the student has earned up to that point in time is determined by a specific formula.  If the student received less assistance than the amount that earned, the student may be able to receive those additional funds.  If the student received more assistance than earned, the excess funds must be returned to the US Department of Education.

The amount of assistance that the student has earned is determined on a pro rata basis. The formula is based upon the number of days the student has attended as a percentage of the total number of days in the term.   For example, if the student completed 30% of the term, the students earns 30% of the assistance originally awarded.  Once the student has completed more than 60% of the term, the student has earned all of the assistance awarded for the term.   Federal regulations require this calculation if the student officially or unofficially withdraws, is dismissed or otherwise leaves the University during a term.

Student transcripts are reviewed at the conclusion of each term.  If a student received all “F” grades during a term, federal regulations require the Office of Financial Aid to obtain additional information from the Academic Department(s). If the Academic Department(s) determines that the student completed yet failed to meet the course objectives in at least one course, no changes to the student’s financial aid for that term is required.  If however, the Academic Department(s) determines that the student did not complete all courses (i.e. stopped attending all courses); the student is considered to have unofficially withdrawn from the University.  In this case, the last date of an academic related activity (i.e. documented attendance in class, submission of a homework assignment or the taking of an exam) is used to determine the date of the unofficial withdrawal.  If the last date of an academic related activity is after the 60% date of the term, no adjustment to a student’s financial aid for that term is required.  If however, the date occurs prior to the 60% date, a Title IV refund calculation is required and necessary adjustments to a student’s financial aid for the term will be made.  In absence of a documented last date of an academic related activity, federal regulations require Clarkson to use the midpoint (50%) of the term.

The Federal Title IV Refund Procedure is separate and distinct from the Office of Student Account’s refund policy for tuition, fees and other charges at Clarkson.  Therefore, a student may still owe funds to cover unpaid institutional charges.

Clarkson scholarships, grants and loans may be reduced based on individual circumstances, the date of withdrawal and the Student Accounts Refund policy,

Satisfactory Academic Progress for students who return to the University for a subsequent term will be reviewed and a determination will be made based on the Maximum Time Frame, PACE and GPA standards as stated above.

Updated June 2017