The SafetyNet is designed for quick communication to student affairs support teams when concerns arise about a student. Our hope is to mobilize a response to concerns quickly and appropriately. Issues relating to academic performance can lead to discussions where there is reason to be concerned about causes related to their personal well-being might be:
- student has missed several classes
- student has informed you or asked for help dealing with issues in their life
- mental health issue (grieving with the loss of a loved one, depression, anxiety, etc)
- physical health issue (chronic medical problems, sleep disorders, eating-related issues, etc)
- substance abuse issues (student admits to a substance abuse problem, appears intoxicated in class, etc)
- issues relating to sexuality and/or gender
- legal issues
- safety issues (domestic violence issues, behaviors relating to excessive risk-taking, etc)
Although we know it's difficult in large lecture courses, we remind faculty that Clarkson University Regulations at http://www.clarkson.edu/studentaffairs/regulations state that Instructors are requested to report three consecutive absences to the Dean of Students' office in order to provide a minimal check on the physical and academic well-being of the student. Hopefully, this form is an easy mechanism to report prolonged absences.
If you have any questions/comments about this tool, please contact the Dean of Students Office at 315-268-6620.
Frequently Asked Questions