Nova Southeastern University
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Dr. LaFay was adjunct faculty prior to taking a full time teaching position in Clarkson University’s Doctor of Physical Therapy Program in 2009. She served as the director of clinical education until assuming the Chair position in 2018. In addition to her administrative duties, she teaches content in professional foundations, practice management, research, and documentation.
- American Physical Therapy Association, 1989-present
- ACAPT Strategic Initiative Clinical Education Terminology Dissemination Panel, appointed December, 2018 as Panel Chair.
- ACAPT Clinical Reasoning Curricular and Assessment Consortium: Teaching Compendium task force, appointed February 8, 2018.
- ACAPT NCCE Nominating Committee Academic member (3-year term). Elected 2016-2019. Term initiated October 7, 2016. Nominating Chair 2018-2019.
- ACAPT National Consortium of Clinical Educators (NCCE) member, October 2015 – present. Clinical partner: St. Camillus Rehabilitation, Syracuse NY.
- Abstract reviewer for APTA Educational Leadership Conference. Appointed 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019.
- ACAPT Strategic Initiative Clinical Education Terminology Panel, appointed January 2016.
- APTA Awards Committee - Subcommittee on Education, appointed April 2015 for the period of July 1, 2015 – June 30, 2017.
- Abstract reviewer, 2016 Combined Sections Meeting poster and platform presentation abstracts. Accepted appointment June 18, 2015.
- Abstract reviewer for 2015 Educational Leadership Conference. Accepted appointment May 11,2015.
- Member, Education Section
- Member, Academy of Geriatric Physical Therapy
- Member, Orthopedic Section
- Clinical Education Special Interest Group (SIG), Bone Health SIG, Health Promotion and Wellness SIG, Balance and Falls SIG
- New York Physical Therapy Association, 1992- present
- NYPTA State Practice Committee Chair, NYPTA, appointment July 1, 2017-July 2019.
- NYPTA Practice Act Task Force Committee Member, appointment December 15, 2016-current.
- Delegate for Central District, NYPTA 2019 Delegate Assembly, April 26– April 27, 2019.
- Delegate for Central District, NYPTA 2018 Delegate Assembly, May 11– May 12, 2018.
- Delegate for Central District, NYPTA 2017 Delegate Assembly, May 19 – May 20, 2017.
- NYPTA State Practice Committee Member, NYPTA, appointed June 2013, term of office for the position: July 2013 – July 2016. Reappointment July 2016.
- Delegate for Central District, NYPTA 2013 Delegate Assembly, May 31 – June 1, 2013.
- Delegate for Central District, NYPTA 2012 Delegate Assembly, May 2012.
- NY-NJ Clinical Education Consortium, 2010-present
- Secretary, elected, term of office 2014-2017, reelected for term 2017-2020. Executive Committee appointment ended September 2018 secondary to change in academic role from DCE to Associate Chair.
- Research Committee co-chair, 2013-2018.
- National Strength and Conditioning Association, member, November 2011-present
- National Strength and Conditioning Association New York State Advisory Board member. Appointed July 10, 2017-July 9, 2020.
- Functional Movement Systems: Functional Movement Screen Level One Certification
- APTA Certified Exercise Expert for Aging Adults (CEEAA)
- National Strength and Conditioning Association Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
- APTA Advanced Credentialed Clinical Instructor
- APTA Credentialed Clinical Instructor
Dr. LaFay’s research projects are primary focused on clinical education and worksite wellness and injury prevention. Specifically, she is currently looking at attributes of effective clinical educators, characteristics of challenging clinical settings and student-clinical instructor factors that contribute to change in attitude and behavior change related to standardized measures.
Wormley M, Romney W, Fein B, Schweizer K, Greer A, LaFay V, Martin R. Using a valid and reliable measure to assess clinical instructor self-perception of teaching behaviors in physical therapy. JOPTE. Manuscript Number - JOPTE-D-18-00012R1. December 2018. 32(4):344-354.
Erickson M, Birkmeier M, Booth M, Borstad J, Hack L, Hartmann J, Ingram D, Jackson-Coty J, LaFay V, Wheeler E. Recommendations from the Common Terminology Panel of the American Council of Academic Physical Therapy. Physical Therapy. Manuscript PTJ-2018-0100.R1. Published online ahead of print June 19, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/pzy075
Silberman N, LaFay V, Fay P, Hanson R. Physical Therapy Student Difficulty in Clinical Education Settings: Incidence and Outcomes. JOPTE. Manuscript ID JOPTE-09-16-0080.R2. June 2018. 32(2): 175-182.
Ciani M, LaFay V, Ciani G, Carey P, Parnez N. An anomalous muscle in the ulnar canal: a cadaver study with clinical implications. JAAPA. October 2016. 29(10).
Minor MA, Minor S, LaFay V. Contributing Author/Editor: Book Chapter: Introduction to Patient Care. Patient Care Skills, 7th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ. Pearson Publishing. 2013.
Minor MA, Minor S, LaFay V. Contributing Author/Editor: Book Chapter: Communication and Patient/Client Management Process. Patient Care Skills, 7th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ. Pearson Publishing.
Peer Reviewed Products
Erickson M, Birkmeier M, Booth M, Borstad J, Hack L, Hartmann J, Ingram D, Jackson-Coty J, LaFay V, Wheeler E. Common Terminology Strategic Initiative Panel Report. In: American Council of Academic Physical Therapy Strategic Initiatives Panel Reports for Membership. American Council of Academic Physical Therapy. June 2017. Available at: https://www.acapt.org/docs/default-source/reports/panel-reports---compiled-for-membership.pdf?sfvrsn=2
Martin RA. LaFay V. Fulk G. Balance Assessment Lab and Integrated Patient Experience. In: Cormack J and Perry S eds; A Compendium for Teaching Professional Level Physical Therapy Neurologic Content, v. 2016. Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy. August 2016. Available at: http://www.neuropt.org/education/compendium.
Peer-Reviewed Abstracts/Papers Presented at Conferences in Poster or Oral Format
Alvarez, J., Teymouri, S., LaFay, V., Boolani, A. The Manifestation of Depression in Gait. Poster Presentation. Clarkson University Spring Research & Project Showcase (RAPS). April, 2019.
LaFay V, Marko M, Neville C. Usefulness of Lower Extremity Muscle Strength Thresholds for the Detection of Functionally Independent Older Adults at Risk for Mobility Disability. Poster Presentation. American Physical Therapy Associaiton Combined Section Meeting, Washington, D.C. January 24-26, 2019.
Wormley M, Romney W, Schweizer K, Fein B, LaFay V, Martin R. Using a Valid and Reliable Measure to Assess Clinical Instructor Self-Perception of Teaching Behaviors in Physical Therapy. Poster Presentation. American Physical Therapy Combined Section Meeting, Washington, D.C. January 24-26, 2019.
Towler C, LaFay V. Integration of Simulation throughout a DPT Curriculum to Enhance Confidence and Preparation for Acute Care. Poster Presentation. Bridging the Acute Care Gap: Advancing Acute Care Physical Therapy Education and Educators, Indianapolis, IN. May 18, 2018.
Boolani A, Fulk G, LaFay V, Reid J, Towler C, Martin R. Mood Differences between Three Cohorts of Doctor of Physical Therapy Students. Poster Presentation. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, New Orleans, LA. February 21-24, 2018.
Boolani A, Fulk G, LaFay V, Reid J, Towler C, Martin R. Differences in Physical Activity Levels across Three Cohorts of Doctor of Physical Therapy Students. Poster Presentation. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, New Orleans, LA. February 21-24, 2018.
Zeigler S, Fulk G, Russek L, Minor S, Rigsbee J, LaFay V, Martin R, Towler R. Development and Utilization of a Professional Development Assessment Process Across and Doctor of Physical Therapy Curriculum. Poster Presentation. APTA Combined Sessions Meeting, Anaheim, CA. February 17-20, 2016.
Ciani M, LaFay V, Ciani G, Carey P, Parnez N. Anomalous Abductor Digiti Minimi in Guyon’s Canal: A Cadaver Study with Clinical Implications Poster Presentation: APTA Combined Sections Meeting, Indianapolis, IN. February 4-7, 2015.
Peer-Reviewed Scientific and Professional Presentation
LaFay V, Silberman N, Stweart M, Stolfi A, Meyers K. Building Bridges through an Innovative Clinical Education Consortium: Collaboration, Mentorship, Education, and Research. 2019 Educational Leadership Conference. Seattle, Washington. October 15-20, 2019. Submitted.
LaFay V, Hochman L. Students as Knowledge Brokers: Optimizing the Value Equation for You and Your Clinical Practice. 2019 Educational Leadership Conference. Seattle, Washington. October 15-20, 2019. Submitted.
Marko M, LaFay V, Boolani A. Squat Exercise for Aging Populations: Correct Technique to Optimize Safety, Performance, and Adherence. Education Session. American Physical Therapy Association Combined Section Meeting, Denver, CO. February 12-15, 2020. Submitted.
Marko M, LaFay V, Boolani A. Exploring the Clinical Utility of Standardized Movement Assessment for Geriatric Populations. Education Session. American Physical Therapy Association Combined Section Meeting, Denver, CO. February 12-15, 2020. Submitted.
LaFay V. Students as Knowledge Brokers. Invited Speaker. New York New Jersey Clinical Education Consortium Symposium: Navigating the Student – Clinical Instructor Partnership, New York City, NY. April 6, 2019.
LaFay V, Marko M, Neville C. Chair Rise Modification Test as a Surrogate of Gait Speed in Community Dwelling Older Adults Living Independently. Platform Presentation. American Physical Therapy Association Combined Section Meeting, Washington, D.C. January 24-26, 2019.
LaFay V, Silberman N. Building transformative resilience as a leader in clinical education: SCCE and DCE perspectives. 2018 Educational Leadership Conference, Jacksonville, FL. October 14, 2018. Educational session.
Marko M, LaFay V. Methodical Approach to Movement Screening, Assessment and Intervention. NYPTA Central District NYPTA Educational session. Syracuse, NY. October 2, 2018. Educational session.
LaFay V, Dougherty ME, Dungey J, Duttaroy P, Freeland M, Silberman N, Stolfi, A. Epic fails, lessons learned and strategies for the CCCE. 2017 Educational Leadership Conference, Columbus, OH. October 15, 2017. Educational session.
Erickson M, Wheeler E, Booth M, Hack L, Ingram D, Borstad J, LaFay V, Jackson-Coty J, Hartman J.Clinical Education Summit Strategic Initiatives: Updates and Ideas
2016 Educational Leadership Conference, Phoenix, AZ, October 8, 2016. Session.
Silberman N, LaFay V, Hanson R, Fay P. Physical Therapist Student Difficulty in Clinical Education: Incidence and Outcomes. 2016 Educational Leadership Conference, Phoenix, AZ, October 8, 2016. Platform presentation.
LaFay V, Minor S. Improving patient outcomes through application of ergonomic principles.
NYPTA Annual Conference, Rye, NY, approved for October 28th, 2011. Presentation abstract printed, presentation cancelled.