University of Montreal
University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Studies
Pat Piperni recently joined the engineering faculty at Clarkson University after working in the aerospace industry for 30 years. Prior to joining Clarkson, he headed the Multidisciplinary Design Optimization (MDO) initiative at Bombardier Aerospace, where his responsibilities included leading the development of a company-wide MDO capability and overseeing its application to aircraft design projects. Prior to that, he led the High-Speed Aerodynamics Group in Bombardier's Advanced Aerodynamics Department. In that role he was responsible for the high-speed aerodynamic design of several Bombardier aircraft currently in service, including the C Series commercial jet, while also being involved in research and development in high-fidelity multidisciplinary optimization and computational fluid dynamics. He is an Associate Fellow of the Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute (CASI), a member of the CASI Aircraft Design & Development Committee, and a member of the AIAA MDO Technical Committee.
Dr. Piperni’s research interests are in the area of aircraft aerodynamic design and analysis, multidisciplinary design optimization (MDO), and conceptual design.
- Piperni, P., “Variable Wing Leading Edge Camber,” Patent Issuance Pending; Filed December 2019, Serial No.62/954,213.
- Piperni, P. and Huq, M., "New Family of Airfoils for the Conceptual Design of Aircraft with Variable-Camber Wings," AIAA 2019-3238, June 2019.
- Chiapperi, J.D., and Piperni, P., "Multilevel Application of CST Geometry in Airfoil Optimization," AIAA Region I Student Conference, College Park, Maryland, April 2019.
- Piperni, P., "Differential Operator for the Modeling of Curvature in Structured Grid Generation", AIAA Journal 56 (11), 4453-4462, November 2018.
- Piperni, P., "On the Modeling of Curvature in General Curvilinear Coordinates," AIAA-2018-3723, June 2018.
- Talgorn, B., Kokkolaras, M., DeBlois, A., and Piperni, P., "Numerical investigation of non-hierarchical coordination for distributed multidisciplinary design optimization with fixed computational budget," Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Volume 55, Issue 1, pp 205–220, January 2017.
- Talgorn, B., Kokkolaras, M., Piperni, P., and DeBlois, A., "Non-hierarchical coordination for multidisciplinary design optimization in an industrial environment," CASI Aeronautics Conference and AGM, May 2015.
- P. Piperni, A. DeBlois and R. Henderson, "Development of a Multi-Level Multi-Disciplinary Optimization Capability for an Industrial Environment," AIAA Journal, 2335-2352, 2013.
- A. Tfaily, K. Huynh, P. Piperni and S. Liscouet-Hanke, "Landing Gear Integration in an Industrial Multi-Disciplinary Optimization Environment," SAE 2013 Aero Tech Congress, 2013.
- P. Piperni, M. Abdo, F. Kafyeke and A. T. Isikveren, "Preliminary Aerostructural Optimization of a Large Business Jet," Journal of Aircraft, 1422-1438, 2007.
- P. Piperni, M. Abdo and F. Kafyeke, "The Application of Multi-Disciplinary Optimization Technologies to the Design of a Business Jet," 10th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, 2004.
- P. Piperni and R. Camarero, "A Fundamental Solution to the Problem of Domain Decomposition in Structured Grid Generation," AIAA 2003-0951, 41st Aerospace Sciences Meeting & Exhibit, 2003.
- F. Kafyeke, M. Abdo, F. Pepin, P. Piperni and E. Laurendeau, "Challenges of Aircraft Design Integration," RTO-MP-089, 2002.
- P. Piperni, K. Patel and F. Kafyeke, "The Prediction of Aircraft Trim Drag in Transonic Flight Using CFD," 46th Annual CASI Conference, 1999.
- P. Piperni, "New Elliptic Grid Generation Equations with Exact Curvature Control," Numerical Grid Generation in Computational Field Simulations, 267-276, 1998.
- F. Kafyeke, P. Piperni, F. Mokhtarian and N. Djilali, "Development of a Transonic Euler Method for Complete Aircraft Configurations," Canadian Aeronautics and Space Journal, 1993.
- F. Kafyeke and P. Piperni, "Application of the MBTEC Euler Code to the Challenger and to the CF-18 Complete Aircraft Configurations," Canadian Aeronautics and Space Journal, 1993.
- P. Piperni, F. Mokhtarian and F. Kafyeke, "Multi-block Grid Generation for Complete Aircraft Configurations," Canadian Aeronautics and Space Journal, 1992.
- S.J. Price and P. Piperni, "An Investigation of the Effect of Mechanical Damping to Alleviate Wake-Induced Flutter of Overhead Power Conductors," Journal of Fluids and Structures, 53-71, 1988.
- P. Piperni, "A Complete Linearized Theory for the Analysis and Design of Two-Dimensional Hydrofoils Near a Free Surface," NASA STI/Recon Technical Report N 88, 13531, 1987.