Malek Ashtar University of Technology - Tehran, Iran
Sharif University of Technology - Tehran, Iran
I am an Associate Professor and Director of Engineering and Management Program in David D. Reh School of Business with a joint courtesy appointment as an Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Clarkson University. I earned my B.S. in Industrial Engineering from Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran in 2007. After my MBA degree in 2010, I received Master's and Ph.D. in Industrial and Systems Engineering in 2012 and 2014 from Auburn University, Auburn, AL. Besides serving as the Director of the Engineering and Management program, I also serve as the Director of Assurance of Learning at Reh School of Business, and Director of Assessment for Student Learning Outcomes at Clarkson University.
My research interests are focused on the applications of Operations Research and Statistics on the operations of cyber-physical systems with an emphasis on the cyber-physical security of smart power grids. In particular, my research interests are shaped by the emerging trend towards autonomous power grids where centralized power systems are replaced by distributed power grids. The paradigm of future power systems involves the interface of all electrical supplies, including conventional power plants and new add-ons. New technology advancements such as phasor measurement units, smart meters, energy storage systems, and electrical vehicles changed the supply chain of electricity drastically. The upgraded supply chain of electricity opened the prospect of achieving completely autonomous operation of power systems while exponentially raising concerns over the security and resiliency of the power grid. My research agenda focuses on the question of how to leverage these technology advancements to continue the trend of improving the supply chain of electricity while satisfying and exceeding the requirements on the resiliency and security of smart grid operations.
- Outstanding Faculty Research Award, David D. Reh School of Business, Clarkson University, May 2021.
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Clarkson University Faculty Teaching Excellence, Endowed fund in honor of Dr. McGill and Dr. Nye Smith, Clarkson University, May 2017.
- DCSA: Graph-theoretic Cyberattack Propagation Modeling & Robust Prevention & Mitigation Approaches in Interconnected Power & Electric Transportation Systems, Lead PI: S. Mousavian, Clarkson University Grants Pilot Program to Support Ignite Graduate Research Fellowship, Co-PIs: L. Wu (Stevens Institute of Technology), G. Madraki (Clarkson University), March 2019.
- Toward a Multifaceted Understanding of Student Learning Outcomes in Higher Education: A Longitudinal Study to Improve Assessment and Data Use at Clarkson University, Educational Testing Service (ETS), Clarkson PI: S. Mousavian, March 2018.
- Excellence in Project Management Education at Clarkson University, Proctor & Gamble, Lead PI: S. Mousavian, Co-PI: M. Issen, November 2014.
Refereed Journal Publications
- B. Raouf, S. Mousavian, K. Ghazinour, Interconnected Smart Power Grid and Electric Transportation: A SWOT Analysis, Journal of Current Sustainable/Renewable Energy Reports, September 2021.
- S. Mousavian, B. Raouf, A. J. Conejo, "Equilibria in Interdependent Natural-gas and Electric Power Markets: An Analytical Approach," Journal of Modern Power Systems and Clean Energy, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 776-787, July 2021.
- J. Otala, A. Minard, G. Madraki, S. Mousavian, Graph-Based Modeling in Shop Scheduling Problems: Review and Extensions, Journal of Applied Sciences, 2021, 11, 4741.
- S. Mousavian, A. Conejo, R. Sioshansi, Equilibria in Investment and Spot Electricity Markets, A Conjectural-Variations Approach, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 281, Issue 1, February 2020, pp. 129-140.
- S. Torabzadeh, M. J. Feizollahi, S. Mousavian, Robust Unit Commitment and the Promise of Higher Reliability in Electricity Markets, Current Sustainable/Renewable Energy Reports, July 2019, pp. 1-10.
- S. Mousavian, M. Erol-Kantarci, Lei Wu, T. Ortmeyer, A Risk-based Optimization Model for Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Response to Cyber Attacks, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 9, Issue. 6, November 2018, pp. 6160-6169.
- Q. Zhao, S. Wang, X. Qin, S. Mousavian, L. Wu, “Simulation and Analysis of UHV Half wavelength and DC Hybrid Transmission System”, Journal of Global Energy Interconnection, Vol. 1, Issue 3, August 2018, pp. 366-375.
- S. Mehrdad, S. Mousavian, G. Madraki, Y. Dvorkin, “Cyber-Physical Resilience of Electrical Power Systems against Malicious Attacks: A Review”, Journal of Current Sustainable/Renewable Energy Reports, Vol. 5, March 2018, Issue 1, pp. 14-22.
- S. Zhu, L. Wu, S. Mousavian, J. H. Roh, An Optimal Joint Placement of PMUs and Flow Measurements for Ensuring Power System Observability under N-2 Transmission Contingencies, International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 95, February 2018, pp. 254-265.
- N. Nezamoddini, S. Mousavian, M. Erol-Kantarci, A Risk Optimization Model for Enhanced Power Grid Resilience against Physical Attacks, Electric Power Systems Research,Vol. 143, February 2017, pp. 329-338.
- S. Mousavian, M. Feizollahi, An investment decision model for the optimal allocation of phasor measurement units, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 42, November 2015, pp. 7276-7284.
- S. Mousavian, J. Valenzuela, J. Wang, A Two-phase investment model for optimal allocation of phasor measurement units considering transmission switching, Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 119, February 2015, pp. 492-498.
- S. Mousavian, J. Valenzuela, J. Wang, A Probabilistic risk mitigation model for cyber-attacks to PMU network, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 30, Issue. 1, January 2015, pp.156-165.
- S. Mousavian, J. Valenzuela, J. Wang, Real-time data reassurance in electrical power systems based on artificial neural networks, Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 96, March 2013, pp. 285-295.
Refereed Book Chapters
- S. Mousavian, M. Erol-Kantarci, and H. T. Mouftah, "Cyber-security and Resiliency of Transportation and Power Systems in Smart Cities," in Transportation and Power Grid in Smart Cities: Communication Networks and Services, H. T. Mouftah, M. Erol-Kantarci and M. H. Rehmani, Eds., Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons Ltd, 2019, pp. 509-529.
Refereed Conference Papers
- S. Zhu, L. Wu, Y. Liu, S. Mousavian, Least-Cost Joint Placement of PMUs and Flow Measurements for Ensuring Topological Observability under N-2 Contingencies While Improving State Estimation Accuracy, Proceedings of 2018 North American Power Symposium (NAPS), Fargo, ND, USA, 2018, pp. 1-6.
- S. Mousavian, M. Erol-Kantarci, T. Ortmeyer, Cyber Attack Protection for a Resilient Electric Vehicle Infrastructure, Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE Globecom Workshops (GC Wkshps), San Diego, CA, 2015, pp. 1-6.
- C. Williams, R. Nathanson, S. Mousavian, Reexamining the Procurement Management Knowledge Area Utilizing Applied Data Analytics, Proceedings of the IISE Annual Meeting Conference, May 2018, Orlando, FL, pp. 553-558. (Collaboration with two undergraduate students)
- M. Shea, A. Balasubramanian, S. Mousavian, An Agile Approach to Improve Post-disaster Routine Care to Chronically Ill Patients, Proceedings of the IISE Annual Meeting Conference, May 2017, Orlando, FL, pp. 205-210. (Collaboration with two undergraduate students)
- R. Custer, K. Martin, S. Mousavian, International Labor Standards and Their Impact on Migrant Workers, Proceedings of the IISE Annual Meeting Conference, May 2016. (Collaboration with two MBA students)