University of Georgia
Oklahoma State University
Oklahoma State University
Dr. Boolani teaches in the Department of Physical Therapy and the Physicians Assistant Program. He teaches physiology for the Physicians Assistant Program and exercise physiology for the Physical Therapy Department. He also teaches two research courses.
Founder and committee member of PB&J
Founder and faculty advisor of Clarkson Feeds
Faculty advisor to Alpha Phi Omega- Service fraternity
Board member St. Lawrence County Community Development Program
Until recently, most researchers viewed energy and fatigue as a bipolar continuum (i.e. two sides of the same coin) rather than two distinct unipolar (i.e. two different coins) moods. However, as my research is evolving, we are understanding that energy and fatigue are indeed two distinct moods. Subsequently, we must find better ways to independently measure energy and fatigue, while understanding their impact on function, to find ways to improve these moods. Therefore, my research focus is three-fold:
1) Measure energy and fatigue
2) Understand how energy and fatigue impact function; and
3) Develop interventions to improve these moods.
Additionally, we are using machine learning to predict energy, fatigue, depression and anxiety.
1. Boolani, A., O’Connor, P., Reid, J.*, Ma, S.* & Mondal, S. Predictors of feelings of energy differ from predictors of fatigue among graduate health sciences students. Fatigue: Biomedicine, Health and Behavior (e-pub ahead of print)
2. Boolani, A., Towler, C., LeCours, B.**, Bronson, H.,** LaRue, J.**, Fulk, G. Accuracy of Six Commercially Available Activity Monitors in Measuring Heart Rate, Caloric Expenditure, Steps Walked and Distance Traveled. Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy Journal (In press)
3. Ohl, A., Reid, J.*, Schelly, D., & Boolani, A. . Sleep quality and quantity of allied health students. Occupational Therapy in Mental Health. (In press)
4. Boolani, A, Lackman, J., LaRue, J*, Smith, M, Baghurst, T. Impact of positive and negative motivation and music on jump shot efficiency of college basketball players. International Journal of Exercise Science (In press)
5. Boolani, A., Schelly, D., Reid, J., Towler, C., Smith, M. L., & Ohl, A. (2018). Health Differences in Didactic Versus Clinical Stage Graduate Allied Health Students. Journal of allied health, 47(4), 282-288.
6. Baghurst, T., Bounds, E.*, Boolani, A., & Betts, N. (2018). Comparison Between Perceived and Actual Physical Activity of Physical Education Teacher Education Students. Revue phénEPS/PHEnex Journal, 9(3).
7. Grobe, S.**, Kakar, R. S., Smith, M. L., Mehta, R., Baghurst, T., & Boolani, A. (2017). Impact of cognitive fatigue on gait and sway among older adults: a literature review. Preventive medicine reports, 6, 88-93.
8. Smith, M. L., Towne Jr, S. D., Motlagh, A. S., Smith, D., Boolani, A., Horel, S. A., & Ory, M. G. (2017). Programs and place: Risk and asset mapping for fall prevention. Frontiers in Public Health, 5, 28.
9. Boolani, A., Lindheimer, J. B., Loy, B. D., Crozier, S., & O’Connor, P. J. (2017). Acute effects of brewed cocoa consumption on attention, motivation to perform cognitive work and feelings of anxiety, energy and fatigue: a randomized, placebo-controlled crossover experiment. BMC Nutrition, 3(1), 8.
10. Baghurst T, Richard K, Boolani, A. Objective measures of PETE student achievement and maintenance of physical activity and fitness. R phénEPS/PHEnex J. 2016;8(1).
11. Keitz, B*, Bronson, H**, Boolani, A. (2015). The Effects of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids on Performance and its Adverse Side Effects on Athletes. Medical Research Archives. 2.
12. Baghurst, T., Tapps, T., Boolani, A., Jacobson, B., Gill, R.** (2014) The influence of Musical Genres on Putting Accuracy in Golf: An Exploratory Study. Journal of Athletic Advancements 3:5
13. Jacobson, B., Smith, D., Kline, C., Boolani, A. (2011) Assessment of the Benefit of Powered Exercises for Muscular Strength and Functional Capacity in Elderly Participants. Journal of Physical Activity & Health.2012. 9(1). 1030-1035.
14. Jacobson, B., Boolani, A., Dunklee, G., Shepardson, A., Acharya, H. (2009) Effect of Prescribed Sleep Surfaces on Back Pain and Sleep Quality in Patients Diagnosed with Low Back and Shoulder Pain. Journal of Applied Ergonomics. 42:1, 91-97.
15. Jacobson, B., Boolani, A, Smith, DB, Back Pain, Sleep Quality and Perceived Stress Following Introduction of New Bedding Systems. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine (2009) 8, 1-8.
16. Dupree, E.*, Goodwin, A.**, Darie, C., Boolani, A. A Pilot Exploratory Proteomics Investigation of Mental Fatigue and Mental Energy. Advancements of Mass Spectrometry in Biomedical Research, Eds. Alisa G. Woods & Costel C. Darie, Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology Series (ISSN: 0065-2598), Springer International Publishing Switzerland (2019; 2nd Edition).
17. Boolani, A., Channaveerappa, D.*, Dupree, E.*, Jayathirtha, M.*, Aslebagh, R.*, Grobe, S.**, Wilkerson, T.* & Costel Darie. Current trends in analysis of cortisol and its derivatives. Advancements of Mass Spectrometry in Biomedical Research, Eds. Alisa G. Woods & Costel C. Darie, Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology Series (ISSN: 0065-2598), Springer International Publishing Switzerland (2019; 2nd Edition).