CAMP Annex 2205
PO Box 5725
Potsdam, NY 13699-5725
Research site: http://people.clarkson.edu/~lkuxhaus/
Ph.D., Univeristy of Pittsburgh (2008)
M.S., Cornell University (2003)
B.S., Michigan State University (2001)
ES/ME 380 - Biomechanics
ES 220 - Statics
ES 223 - Rigid Body Dynamics
Dr. Kuxhaus's research in the broad field of orthopaedic biomechanics focuses on the upper extremity with particular emphasis on the elbow. Her research includes both experiments and theoretical models using the principles of solid mechanics to investigate how upper extremity function is altered with impairments such as disease or injury. Current work includes studying the strain behavior of the medial ulnar collateral ligament of the elbow using optical measuring techniques. This has an immediate application to the clinical reconstruction of the ligament following injury in throwing athletes. Additional projects investigating elbow stiffness and the microarchitecture of vertebral bone are underway. Past work has included measurements and models of thumb force production capabilities in impaired and unimpaired individuals, quantification of ankle proprioception, and a comparison of the performance of two different hip implant designs.
- L. Kuxhaus, P.J. Schimoler, J.S. Vipperman, M.E. Baratz, M.C. Miller, "Effects of Camera Switching on Fine Accuracy in a Motion Capture System," ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 131(1), 014502:1-6 (2009).
- S. Conti D. Dazen, G. Stewart, A. Green, R. Martin, L. Kuxhaus and M.C. Miller, "Proprioception after total ankle arthroplasty," Foot and Ankle International, 29(11), 1069-1073 (2008).
- M. Espiritu, L. Kuxhaus, R.A. Kaufman, Z.M. Li and R.J. Goitz, "Quantifying the effects of distal intrinsic release on digits' proximal-interphalangeal joint flexion," Journal of Hand Surgery 30A(5), 1032-1038 (2005).
- L. Kuxhaus, F.J. Valero-Cuevas and S.S. Roach, "Quantifying deficits in the 3D force capabilities of a digit caused by selective paralysis: Application to the thumb with simulated low ulnar nerve palsy," Journal of Biomechanics, 38(4), 725-736 (2005).
- Z.M. Li, J.A. Fisk, L. Kuxhaus and T.H. Christophel, "Coupling between wrist flexion-extension and radial-ulnar deviation," Clinical Biomechanics, 20(2), 177-183 (2004).
- P.J. Schimoler, J.S. Vipperman, L. Kuxhaus, A.M. Flamm, D. Budny, M.E. Baratz and M.D. Miller, "Control System for an ebow Joint Motion Simulator," IMECE 2007.
- L. Kuxhaus and M.J. Grimmer, "A Purge Solenoid Structure-borne Noise Model," 2001 Noise and Vibration Proceedings, SAE (2001).
Abstracts: (*=podium presentation; #=poster presentation)
- #A.V. Sonar, K.A. Issen, L. Kuxhaus and J.J. Carroll, "Simulation of subject-specific bone remodeling," ASB Annual Meeting, Providence, RI; August 2010.
- #A.S. Motlagh, H.A. Cook, S. Kim, L. Kuxhaus, M. Brogdon, P.J. DeMeo and M.C. Miller, "The strain in the medial ulnar collateral ligament is localized in both the anterior and posterior bands of the anterior bundle," ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference, Naples,FL; June 2010.
- #P.S. Schimoler, L. Kuxhaus, J.S. Vipperman and M.C. Miller, "Robotic controller design for an elbow simulator," 2009 BMES Conference, Pittsburgh, PA; October 2009.
- #L. Kuxhaus, M. Brogdon, M. Druschel, P.J. Schimoler, J.S. Marchessault, M.E. Baratz and M.C. Miller, "A method to quantify the influence of radial head fracture location on elbow kinematics," ASB Annual Meeting, State College, PA; August 2009.
- *L. Kuxhaus, D. Dazen, A. Hofer and M.C. Miller, "A comparison of two hip stem styles: subsidence, failure load, and bone density," ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference, Lake Tahoe, CA; June 2009.
- #L. Kuxhaus, F. Thomines, A.M. Flamm, P.J. Schimoler, M.L. Brogdon, J.S. Vipperman, P.J. DeMeo and M.C. Miller, "Measurement of elbow medial ulnar collateral ligament strain: choice of reference length reduces interspecimen variability," ASB Conference, Ann Arbor, MI; August 2008.
- P.J. Schimoler, J.S. Vipperman, L. Kuxhaus, D.D. Budny, A.M. Flamm and *M.C. Miller, "Accuracy and precision of a control system for an elbow joint simulator," ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference, Marco Island, FL; June 2008.
- *L. Kuxhaus, P. Schimoler, A.M. Flamm, J.S. Vipperman, M.E. Baratz and M.C. Miller, "Moment arm measurement to validate a closed-loop feedback-controlled elbow joint simulator," American Society of Biomechanics Conference, Stanford, CA; August 2007.
- *L. Kuxhaus, P.J. Schimoler, J.S. Vipperman, A.M. Flamm, D. Budny, M.E. Baratz, P.J. DeMeo M.C. Miller, "Measuring moment arms using closed-loop force control with an elbow simulator," ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference, Keystone, CO; June 2007.
- C. Martin, *L. Kuxhaus, K. Galik, A.M. Flamm, A.L. Butler, M.E. Baratz and M.C. Miller, "A computer model to evaluate radial head translation," 5th World Congress of Biomechanics, Munich, Germany July 2006. Published in: Journal of Biomechanics (2006) 39(S1) p. S47.
- M.C. Miller, K. Galik K, #L. Kuxhaus, A. Butler, M.S. Cohen and M.E. Baratz, "Transection of the annular ligament affects radial head travel but not the axis location in pronation-supination of the forearm," Orthopaedic Research Society, Chicago, IL March, 2006.
- #L. Kuxhaus, D.A. Harkness and Z.M. Li, "Directional force control of the thumb," American Society of Biomechanics Conference, Portland OR, September 2004.
- #L. Kuxhaus, J.A. Fisk, T.H. Christophel and Z.M. Li, "Wrist position influences range of motion," American Society of Biomechanics Conference, Portland OR September, 2004. Espiritu MT,
- *L. Kuxhaus, R.A. Kaufmann, Z.M. Li and R.J. Goitz, "Quantifying PIP joint flexion improvement with distal intrinsic release," Fifth Triennial International Hand and Wrist Biomechanics Symposium, Syracuse, NY, September 7, 2004.
- *L. Kuxhaus, F.J. Valero-Cuevas and S.S. Roach, "Effect of simulated low ulnar nerve palsy on the 3D force production capabilities of the thumb," American Society of Biomechanics, Toledo, OH, Sept., 2003.
- #L. Kuxhaus, J.L. Pearlman, M. Weisman and F.J. Valero-Cuevas, "Predicting thumb force changes with ulnar nerve impairment," American Society of Biomechanics, Toledo, OH, September, 2003.
- L. Kuxhaus, P.J. Schimoler, J.S. Vipperman and M.C. Miller, "Validation of a Feedback-Controlled Elbow Simulator Design: Elbow Muscle Moment Arm Measurement," ASME Journal of Medical Devices, 3(1), 021002:1-7 (2009).