If you guessed Holcroft House – our undergraduate admissions hub – grab an extra Halloween treat for yourself.
Built in the 1820s by John Charleton Clarkson, Holcroft served as a men’s dormitory in 1939 and as a women’s dormitory decades later. The first record of a ghost sighting goes back to the 1970s when it was still a women’s dorm.
Lights blinking for no reason, odd whispers, and unexplained footsteps were all reported. So were actual sightings of a ghost: “a woman in her late twenties or thirties, dressed in a long, dark skirt and a blousy blouse, with leg-o-mutton sleeves, tight at the forearm then expanding and gathering at the elbows.”
Most of the alleged sightings and strange happenings occurred on the third floor, which had been added to the original house after 1853.
When Holcroft was transformed to offices in the late 1970s the ghost apparently stayed on, though reports of her became more infrequent.
More recently, a team of researchers visited Holcroft to take air samples and study possible links between indoor air quality and reported hauntings. No ghosts were busted.
Below: Holcroft House, haunted by.... geese.