The Honors Advantage
Honors Program alumni consistently cite the program's seminars, research opportunities and team-based projects as their most transformative academic experiences at Clarkson. Here are some the best reasons to join the Honors Program at Clarkson:
- Research opportunities start as early as the summer before your freshman year. Live for free on campus while working with faculty mentors on original research or other forms of creative work. You can leverage your experience into an internship or continue on to your Honors thesis. Every Honors student completes a thesis under the mentorship of a faculty member. Depending upon your major, this could be research, creative work, a business plan, or design of a product, and it is usually the climax of your undergraduate experience.
- Our curriculum places a huge emphasis on problem-based learning. In the 2013-2014 sophomore problems course, for example, Honors students developed a comprehesive plan for a breached weir on the Grasse River in Massena, NY, presenting their findings to the mayor and representatives of the Department of Environmental Conservation and the St Regis Mohawk Tribe. In 2014-2015, they are investigated the potential transfer of new agricultural technologies from start-up companies in the Shipley Center of Innovation to farmers in the North Country. In 2015-2016, they developed plans for bioregional resilience in the village of Potsdam. In 2016-2017, they will be making business plans for Zenda Farms in Clayon, NY, with the goal of creating a viable destination farm for the Thousand Islands Land Trust.
- The Honors Program offers highly personalized attention to student needs. Honors Advising is designed to progressively promote personal and professional development of its students. For example, we offer a series of workshops and personally coach our students as they prepare to compete successfully for research experiences, major scholarships, internships/co-ops and other opportunities to get ahead.
- The Honors Program is a highly collaborative, supportive, tight-knit community. Through small classes and mentored research, you will forge close working relationships and lifelong friendships with faculty and fellow Honors students. Learn more about student life in the Honors Program.
- Our Honors Program alumni network is a tremendous resource for current Honors students and recent graduates. Alumni provide guidance and assistance when searching for internships, graduate school placements and jobs. Some of them even recruit at Clarkson for Fortune 500 companies.
- Oh yes, we also provide a scholarship, a residential community, ice cream socials, and an unlimited supply of cookies and candy!
Contact our office to learn how the Honors Program will enrich your Clarkson experience.