Would you like the opportunity to do cutting-edge research under the mentorship of a faculty member while enjoying independent living on campus and outdoor activities in the North Country?
Summer Research is one of the highlights of the Honors Program at Clarkson University, recalled by graduating seniors as a transformative experience, both for skills acquired in the laboratory or the field, and the life-long friendships forged on picnics, hikes and canoe trips on the long summer evenings and weekends. Current Honors Program students, incoming new first-year Honors Program students, and prospective students currently enrolled at community colleges are eligible to apply for Summer Research as outlined below. And please note that we say "research" because that is the general term for the work that we do in universities, but as well as wearing a lab coat and peering into microscopes, you could conduct surveys, develop a business plan, study science fiction, write a play, or design a smart phone app!
10-Week Summer Research for Current Honors Program Students
All Honors students in good standing are eligible to apply to conduct research work with a faculty advisor on campus in the summer. The Honors Program provides on-campus housing and a modest meal stipend.
In addition to expectations that your Faculty Advisor may specify, the Honors Program has the following requirements of our upperclass students during Summer Research:
- Be able to participate in the summer of 2022 dates from Monday 5/23 through Friday 7/29
- Attend an Orientation session
- Attend a lab safety training
- Submit weekly time sheets and progress reports online by required deadlines
- Attend scheduled lunch meetings
- Submit a research/project proposal by the required deadline
- Attend a mid-summer advisory meeting
- Present proposal and project-in-progress at the “mini-conference” for pre-frosh students
- Present research/project results at the Research and Project Showcase (RAPS) conference at the end of the summer
- Submit a written final report
- Complete an evaluation form for your Summer Research experience
- Serve as a Summer Research peer mentor for a pre-frosh student
- Participate in a future Clarkson University Open House by showcasing your research poster
- Have discussed your plans with your research advisor
- Be prepared to upload a PDF of a 250-500 word justification of participating in the summer research program
- Be prepared to upload a PDF or your current resume or CV
The Summer 2022 research application process is now open! Apply by 5 pm on Friday 15 April 2022.