How can I protect myself from getting H1N1 influenza from infected people?
To protect yourself, practice general preventive measures for influenza:
- Avoid close contact with people who appear unwell and have a fever and or cough.
- Wash your hands with soap and water frequently and thoroughly at least 15 seconds.
- Practice good health habits including adequate sleep, eating nutritious food, and keeping physically active.
- Try to provide the ill person a separate section in the house. If this is not possible, keep the person at least 6 feet in distance from others.
- Cover mouth and nose when caring for the ill person.
- Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly after each contact with the ill person.
- Try to improve the air flow in the area where the ill person stays. Use doors and windows to take advantage of breezes.
- Keep the environment clean with readily available household cleaning agents.