MS in Engineering or Science (Chemistry, Computer Science, Math or Physics; other degrees considered on a case-by-case basis).
1. The following are minimum requirements:
- Minimum of 60 credits beyond MS, 90 credits beyond the BS
- Minimum of 39 credits of graduate course work (minimum of 24 credits in engineering).
- GPA for graduation is B (3.0/4.0).
- 6 credits of seminar (in engineering or science).
- PhD Thesis Committee: Minimum of five faculty Members (PhD) with at least three from CSoE.
2. A maximum of 30 credit hours transfer credit (grade of B or better).
3. All work to be completed within seven years after the candidacy procedure is completed.
4. The research advisor must be a member of CSoE (can be a courtesy appointment).
Sequence of Examinations:
- Qualifying Examination: A written qualifying exam is required within one year of admission to the PhD program. The qualifying exam will be administered by the Chair of the student’s PhD Committee or the researcher advisor’s departmental graduate committee. The outcome of the exam is determined by a vote of the respective committees, with no more than one dissenting vote permitted for passage. Failure to pass the qualifying examination twice is grounds for dismissal from the program.
- Research Proposal Defense Examination: Administered by PhD Thesis Committee within one year of passing the qualifying exam.
- Examination on the Dissertation: Administered by PhD Thesis Committee at least one year after passing the proposal defense.