Industry Outlook & Careers
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, computer-software engineers are among the occupations projected to grow the fastest and add the most new jobs from 2008 to 2018. Job prospects will be best for applicants with a bachelor's or higher degree and relevant experience.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ 2010 report, the annual earnings for wage-and-salary computer applications software engineers is as follows:
- median: $87,480
- middle 50%: $69,230 to $107,710
- lowest 10%: less than $54,840
- highest 10%: greater than $132,080
Similarly, for computer-systems software engineers:
- median: $93,470
- middle 50%: $74,520 to $116,510
- lowest 10%: less than $59,600
- highest 10%: greater than $139,930
Learn about Clarkson alumni in the software engineering field.