The history program consists of 31 credit hours in history and 15 credit hours in pre-professional external fields. 30 credit hours are in free electives, which is enough to complete a minor or second major if you so choose.
All courses are 3 credits unless noted.
Click here for a sample curriculum schedule
Clarkson Common Experience
The following courses are required for all students, irrespective of their program of study. These courses are offered during the fall semester, with FY100 First-Year Seminar being required of only first-year students. Both FY100 and UNIV190 are typically taken during the fall semester of the first year at Clarkson.
FY100 First-Year Seminar (1 credit)
UNIV190 The Clarkson Seminar (3 credits)
History Core Requirements
Students are required to complete the following courses:
- HSS120 Introducing the Liberal Arts (1 credit)
- HSS480 Major Research Seminar
Students are required to complete the following Professional Experience:
HSS480 Major Research Seminar
History Core Electives
Students must complete nine of the following courses, including one pre-modern and one modern history course:*
- HIST343 War in the Middle Ages
- HIST345 The Civil War
- HIST346 America: 1790-1850
- HIST347 World War I in History and Literature
- HIST348 World War II: The European Theater
- HIST349 Cold War History: 1945-1955
- HIST350 History of Nazi Germany
- HIST320 Medicine & Society in America
- HIST351 History of the Holocaust
- HIST323 War Literature II
- HIST352 European History: 1789-1914
- HIST325 Sexuality & Health in America History
- HIST353 Medicine and Medical Ethics During the Third Reich
- HIST326 Modern Sex: Sexualities and Genders in Modern America
- HIST354 The Construction of Nazi Germany
- HIST327 History of Women & Gender in America
- HIST328 History of Gender and Sexuality in the Transatlantic World
- HIST356 Nazi Germany at War
- HIST355 Secret War: Codebreaking & the Clandestine Services in WWII
- HIST329 History of the American Family
- HIST360 Voices of the Past
- HIST380 Middle Ages & Renaissance Survey
- HIST331 Ancient Medicine & Magic
- HIST390-99 Special Topics
- HIST332 Documenting Social Activism
- HIST391 ST: Medieval Survey
- HIST333 Science, Technology & Society in the Renaissance
- HIST398 The Virtual Past: Local History goes Digital
- HIST334 Crime and Gender in Early Modern Europe
- HIST459 Neuroscience and Society
- HIST335 History of Medicine in Europe and North America
- HIST485 Advanced Topics
- HIST338 Women, Gender and Science in American History
- HIST490 Independent Study
- HIST340 Warfare in Ancient Greece
- HIST342 War and Gender
*Students should work with their academic advisors to find the courses that best fit their interests.
Pre-Professional External Field Electives
Students must complete five courses in a pre-professional external field, such as business, communications and media, pre-dentistry, pre-law, pre-medicine, pre-occupational therapy, pre-physician assistant, pre-physical therapy, pre-veterinary, etc. This pre-professional concentration provides students with opportunities to increase career choices while exploring a wide variety of interests through their major.
Although not required, students are encouraged to take a history course while studying abroad, and to do historical internships, such as a local history museum.
Knowledge Area/University Course Electives
Students will have at least 15 credit hours available to use toward Knowledge Area and/or University Course electives to satisfy the Clarkson Common Experience requirements.
Students will have approximately 30 credit hours available to use toward courses of their choice.