Background Image

What About My High School Diploma?

In this Section

Clarkson does not grant high school diplomas, but we encourage all students who have not earned their high school diploma, or its equivalency, to pursue one of three options. Please keep in mind, students are eligible to receive Clarkson School Scholarships and Grants regardless of which option they choose.

1. Receive the high school diploma from your current high school. This will require working out a suitable academic plan with the high school administration to satisfy your graduation requirements, while studying at The Clarkson School. We simply include these required classes into your schedule here at Clarkson and upon satisfactory completion, the appropriate documentation will be provided to your high school. Students have the option to complete these requirements during the first semester, and obtain the diploma mid-year, or spread the classes over both semesters. Students who complete their high school requirements in the first semester are eligible to receive federal financial aid in the second semester.*

2. Apply for a diploma from the New York State Education Department upon successful completion of twenty-four credit hours in six different disciplines. The state diploma shows that a student has successfully completed these college credits at Clarkson University.

3. Take the two-day New York State General Equivalency Exam. This option provides the student with the most flexibility in their schedule and we provide assistance with registration and transportation to the test, which is conducted at a nearby location.

Our staff will assist with any of these choices.

*If a student chooses to remain enrolled in a high school while enrolled in The Clarkson School, the student is eligible for Clarkson School financial aid but not federal financial aid. By definition, enrollment in high school includes, but is not limited to the concurrent pursuit of a high school diploma while enrolled in The Clarkson School. It also includes (i) a student who has completed the requirements for his/her high school diploma but not yet received it and is taking coursework for which his/her high school will give the student credit or (ii) a student who has not received a high school diploma and is considered by his/her high school to be enrolled, e.g., as a requirement for participation on an interscholastic sports team or in any other curricular or extracurricular activity for which enrollment in high school is a prerequisite.