First Year Advising
ERC Suite 1400
PO Box 5803
Potsdam, NY 13699-5803
Monday – Friday
Summer: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Academic Year: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
All incoming first-year students have in addition to their faculty/professional advisor - access to a first-year advisor who works with them individually to make sure:
- They are making satisfactory academic progress
- They are adjusting well personally to college academic life
- They are identifying and addressing any other problems they may be experiencing as early as possible.
First-Year Advising is for students who want extra guidance.
Many students want to tailor their education to pursue multiple interests; others are still deciding on their career direction. In either case, First-Year Advising can help! Some examples of available services:
- Creating an academic plan so you can discover and pursue new interests. In fact, you can get started now by taking a short online quiz.
- Planning your major or course enrollment. In fact, many freshen decide to investigate different options in their first year by enrolling in our University Studies Program.
- Answering questions about degree or program requirements.
- Helping you to cope with academic difficulties.
- Working with you to make informed decisions about your educational goals.
- Identifying independent research opportunities and team-based projects.
- Helping you successfully deal with stress caused by classes, roommates, a change of environment, or academic uncertainty.