George Fulk, PT, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Chair
BA in Political Science Brandeis University 1986
MS in Physical Therapy University of Massachusetts at Lowell 1994
PhD in Physical Therapy Nova Southeastern University 2005
Dr. Fulk primary teaching areas are neurologic physical therapy, neuroscience, motor learning, and research. He teaches these topics throughout the DPT Problem Based Learning curriculum. His primary teaching responsibilities are in PT 508, PT 605, PT 606, and PT 618.
Dr. Fulk’s research projects have primarily focused on measuring and improving locomotor capability in people with stroke. Specifically, his research has looked at methods of measuring walking ability and overall participation in people with stroke, interventions to improve walking ability in people with stroke and other neurological conditions, and the development and use of rehabilitation engineering technologies to enhance recovery in people with neurological disorders. He has collaborated with engineering faculty to develop novel technologies that monitor walking activity and ambulatory assistive devices.
- Canbek J, Fulk G, Nof L, Echternach J. Test-retest reliability and construct validity of the Tinetti Performance Oriented Mobility Assessment (POMA) in people with stroke. J Neurol Phys Ther. 2013;37:14-19.
- Fulk GD, Edgar SR, Bierwirth R, Lopez-Meyer P, Sazonov E. Identifying Activity Levels and Steps in People with Stroke using a Novel Shoe-Based Sensor. J Neurol Phys Ther. 2012;36:100-107.
- Page S, Fulk GD, Boyne, P. Clinically Important Differences on the Upper Extremity Fugl-Meyer in Minimally Impaired, Chronic Stroke. Phys Ther. 2012;92:791-798.
- Fulk GD and Sazonov E. Using Sensors to Measure Activity in People with Stroke. Top Stroke Rehabil. 2011;18;746-757.
- Lopez-Mayer P, Fulk GD, Sazonov E. Automatic Detection of Temporal Gait Parameters in Post-stroke Individuals. IEEE Trans Info Tech Biomed. 2011;15:594-601.
- Potter K, Fulk GD, Salem Y, Sullivan J. Making Sound Decisions when Selecting Outcome Measures in Neurological Clinical Practice. J Neurol Phys Ther. 2011;35:57-64.
- Fulk GD, Ludwig M, Dunning K, Golden S, Boyne P and West T. Estimating Important Changes in Gait Speed in People with Stroke Undergoing Out-Patient Rehabilitation. J Neurol Phys Ther. 2011;35:82-89.