Mission and Goals
Mission and Goals
The mission of the Clarkson University Department of Physician Assistant Studies is to educate Physician Assistants to become highly skilled and compassionate health care providers. The program will encourage an interdisciplinary approach with an emphasis on patient-centered care.
Graduates will become leaders in the health care community, continuously striving for excellence in their professional endeavors while compassionately providing for the health care needs of those they serve.
The goals of the Department of Physician Assistant Studies are to:
- Identify for admission those individuals with the academic ability, clinical experience, interpersonal skills, and maturity necessary to become outstanding Physician Assistants.
- Provide a coordinated, comprehensive didactic and clinical curriculum that will allow graduates to deliver the highest quality of health care services.
- Promote a didactic and clinical educational environment that embraces the concepts of continuous communication, cooperation, and compassion.
- Promote an atmosphere of "learner-centered" education that empowers students to become self-directed learners.
- Instill in students the core values of Clarkson University and the importance of staying in the Clarkson region to practice after graduation.
- Provide students with the medical knowledge, clinical skills, and caring attitude needed to practice as a Physician Assistant anywhere and within any type of clinical practice.
- Contribute knowledge to the medical community by performing research or other forms of academic activity through the students' Master's Project, which may be utilized as a community resource or published in a professional journal.
- Continually promote a comprehensive approach to health and disease by emphasizing health maintenance, disease prevention, and life-long learning.
- Develop in students an appreciation of the dignity of the individual and each individual's right to a quality life with consideration for the culture and diversity of each patient.
- Promote continued professional growth through life-long learning.
- Highlight the importance of community service by incorporating service learning into the curriculum while fostering a commitment to future volunteerism in our students.
- Encourage graduates to strive for excellence in clinical practice while employing professional ethics as a member of the health care team focused on service to others.
The Department of Physician Assistant Studies will prepare individuals to become valued members of the health care team licensed to practice medicine with physician supervision.
Department motto: a posse ad esse - from possibility to reality