News & Events
Mcdonald Foundation Donates $50,000 To Clarkson University
POTSDAM, N.Y. -- The J. M. McDonald Foundation has made a generous gift of $50,000 to Clarkson University in support of the University's $70-million fund-raising campaign. The gift will support construction of a new Leadership Development Laboratory in the Shipley Center for Leadership and Entrepreneurship, part of Clarkson's New Academic Building. Slated to open on Clarkson's "hill campus" by fall 2000, the New Academic Building will house Clarkson's schools of Business and Liberal Arts.
In recognition of this support for Clarkson's educational mission, the University has designated one of the New Academic Building's state-of-the-art laboratories to be named "The J. M. McDonald Foundation Leadership Development Laboratory." Students from across campus will use the laboratory to refine leadership skills through role-playing, videotaped feedback, group discussion of real-world problems, and negotiation, all within a cross-disciplinary setting that includes a Center for Excellence in Communication and a Center for Global Competitiveness.
The New Academic Building is an important facet of The Campaign for Clarkson. Other goals include support for facilities, scholarships and academic excellence. "Loyal support from the
J. M. McDonald Foundation brings Clarkson closer to fulfilling our educational vision for providing each of our graduates with the skills they'll need to succeed in today's global, technological environment," said Clarkson University President Denny Brown.
Located in the foothills of the Adirondacks, Clarkson University has an enrollment of 2,749 students pursuing graduate and undergraduate degrees in engineering, business, science and liberal arts. The J. M. McDonald Foundation, formerly located in Cortland, N.Y., now has headquarters in Florida and Colorado. Founded in 1952 by James M. McDonald, the owner and founder of a department store chain, the J. M. McDonald Foundation has supported capital projects throughout the northeast United States.