PO Box 5725
Potsdam, NY 13699-5725
T: 315-268-2205 Fax: 315-268-6695
Ph.D., Engineering Mechanics, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2008
M.S., Engineering Mechanics, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2004
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Nairobi, Kenya, 1998
CE/ME 551 Theory of Elasticity
My Research is focused on structure-property relationships with special emphasis on biomaterials, nanofibers and polymers. I am particularly interested in nanoscale materials property characterization using techniques such as contact resonance force microscopy (CR-FM) and Nanoindentation. For this research, I develop theoretical constitutive models and perform experiments to validate the models.
- Nimitt G. Patel, Ajeet Kumar, Veroni N. Jayawardana, Craig D. Woodworth, Philip A. Yuya, Fabrication, Nanomechanical Characterization, and Cytocompatibility of Gold-Reinforced Chitosan Bio Nanocomposites, Materials Science & Engineering C (2014), doi: 10.1016/j.msec.2014.08.042.
- Nimitt G Patel, Arvind& Sreeram, Ramaswamy I Venkatanarayanan, Sitaraman Krishnan, and Philip A Yuya, "Elevated temperature nanoindentation characterization of poly(para-phenylene vinylene) conjugated polymer films," Polymer Testing 41 (2015) 17-25.
- Alexander K. Landauer, Sumona Mondal, Philip A. Yuya, and Laurel Kuxhaus, Cyclic Cryopreservation Affects the Nanoscale Material Properties of Trabecular Bone, Journal of Biomechanics 47(2014)3584–3589.
- Yuya, P.A. and N.G. Patel, "Analytical model for nanoscale viscoelastic properties characterization using dynamic nanoindentation." Philosophical Magazine, 94, (2014) 2505-2519.
- Arvind Sreeram, Nimitt G. Patel b, c, Ramaswamy I. Venkatanarayanan, Stephan J. DeLuca, Philip A. Yuya, and Sitaraman Krishnan, "Thermogravimetric study of the kinetics of formation of poly(para-phenylene vinylene) by thermal conversion of a sulfonium precursor." Polymer Testing 37 (2014) 170-178.
- A. Sreeram, N. G. Patel, R. I. Venkatanarayanan, J. B. McLaughlin, S. J. DeLuca, P. A. Yuya, and S. Krishnan, Nanomechanical Properties of Poly(para-phenylene vinylene) Determined Using Quasi-static and Dynamic Nanoindentation. Polymer Testing, 37 (2014) pg86-93.
- B. J. Polly, P. A. Yuya M. P. Akhter, R. R. Recker, and J. A. Turner, "Intrinsic Material Properties of Trabecular Bone by Nanoindentation Testing of Biopsies Taken from Healthy Women Before and After Menopause." Calcified Tissue International, (2012) DOI 10.1007/s00223-012-9575-8.
- J. P. Killgore, D. G. Yablon, A. H. Tsou, A. Gannepalli, P. A. Yuya, J. A. Turner, R. Proksch, and D. C. Hurley, " Viscoelastic Property Mapping with Contact Resonance Force Microscopy" Langmuir, (2011), 27 (23), pp 13983–13987.
- P. A. Yuya, D. C. Hurley, and J. A. Turner, "Relationship between Q-factor and Sample Damping for Contact Resonance Atomic Force Microscope Measurement of Viscoelastic Properties." Journal of Applied Physics 109, 113528 (2011).
- P. A. Yuya, E. K Amborn, M. W. Beatty and J. A. Turner, "Evaluating Anisotropic Properties in the Porcine Temporomandibular Joint Disk Using Nanoindentation," Annals of Biomedical Engineering 38, 2428-2437 (2010).
- P. A. Yuya, D. C. Hurley, and J. A. Turner, "Contact Resonance Atomic Force Microscopy for Viscoelasticity", Journal of Applied Physics, Volume 104, 074916 (2008).
- P. A. Yuya and J. A. Turner, "Flexural Vibrations of Microcantilevers Coupled with a Nanofiber", Nanotechnology, Volume 18, 405502 (2007).
- P. A. Yuya, Y. Wen, J. A. Turner, Y. A. Dzenis and Z. Li, "Determination of the Young's modulus of individual electrospun nanofibers by microcantilever vibration method" Applied Physics Letters, Volume 90, Issue 11, id. 111909 (2007).
- S.V .Verlinski, L.A. Shekyan, P. Marzocca, P.A. Yuya, "Thin Film Lithium-Ion batteries Crack Initiation Due to Thermal and Electric Effects," Transactions of Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Vol. 31, No. April 2014. pp. 39-43.
- S.V. Verlinski, N. Patel, T. Arsenault, P. A.Yuya, P. Marzocca, "Experimental Investigation to Evaluate LiFePO4 Batteries Anode and Cathode Elastic Properties under Cyclic Temperature Loading Conditions," Transactions of Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Vol. 31, No. April 2014. pp. 1-6.
- P. A. Yuya and N. G. Patel, Dynamic Nanoindentation Analysis using Generalized Maxwell Model for Viscoelastic Materials Characterization, NanoTech 2013, May 12-16, 2013, Maryland, U.S.A.
- N. G. Patel, C. D. Woodworth, P. A. Yuya, "Gold-Chitosan Nanocomposites for Biomedical Applications: Processing, Nanomechanical Characterization, and Biocompatibility," 7th World Congress of Biomechanics, July 6-11,2014, Boston, MA, US
- A. K. Landauer, S. Mondal, P. A. Yuya, L. Kuxhaus "Multiple Freeze-Thaw Cycles Alter Nanoscale Viscoelastic Properties of Cancellous Bone," 7th World Congress of Biomechanics, July 6-11, 2014, Boston, MA, US
- N. Patel, A. Sreeram, S. DeLuca, S. Krishnan, and P. A. Yuya, "Synthesis and Nano-Mechanical Properties Characterization of Conjugated Polymer Thin Films," 2013 MRS Fall Meeting, Symposium GG: Surface/Interface Characterization and Renewable Energy, Boston, MA (December 2, 2013).
- Landauer A, Yuya P, Kuxhaus L. "Repetitive Freezing: Does it Change Nanoscale Material Properties of Cancellous Bone?" ASB Annual Meeting. Omaha, Nebraska; September 2013.
- Landauer A, Yuya P, Kuxhaus L. "Effect of Freeze-Thaw Cycling on Material Properties of Cancellous Bone as Characterized by Nanoindentation" ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference. Sunriver, Oregon; June 2013.
- S.V. Verlinski, L.A. Shekyan, P. Marzocca, P.A. Yuya, "Thin Film Lithium-Ion batteries Crack Initiation due to Thermal and Electric Effects," TS2013, May 31 - June 4, 2013, Nanjing, China.
- S.V. Verlinski, N. Patel, T. Arsenault, P. A Yuya, P. Marzocca, Experimental Investigation to Evaluate LiFePO4 Batteries Anode and Cathode Elastic Properties Under Cyclic Temperature Loading Conditions, TS2013, May 31 - June 4, 2013, Nanjing, China.
- Nimitt G. Patel and Philip A. Yuya, Generalized Maxwell Model for Dynamic Nanoindentation Analysis, Society of Engineering Science (SES) 49th Annual Technical Meeting – October, 2012 Georgia Tech - Atlanta, GA
- Campbell SE, Yuya PA, Polly BJ, Hurley DC, Turner JA, Lappe JM, Recker RR, Akhter MP, ‘Viscoelastic Mapping of Transmenopausal Bone Biopsies’, ASBMR Topical Meeting: Bone and Skeletal Muscle Interactions, July 17–18, 2012 Kansas City, Missouri, USA
- Philip A. Yuya, Mapping Mechanical Properties of Polymer Blends Using Contact Resonance Force Microscopy, CAMP Annual Technical Meeting May 18 2012, Albany NY
- Philip A. Yuya, Donna C. Hurley, and Joseph A. Turner, "Extracting Sample Damping from Q-factor Measurements with Contact Resonance Force Microscopy" Seeing at the Nanoscale 2011, July 19-22, 2011 University of California- Santa Barbara
- P. A. Yuya, Erica K. Amborn, Ashwani Goel, Mark W. Beatty and Joseph A. Turner, " Nanoindentation for Quantifying the Viscoelastic and Anisotropic Behavior of the Porcine Temporomandibular Joint Disc," ASME 2010 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, November 12-18, 2010 Vancouver, British Columbia.
- P. A. Yuya, and J. A. Turner, "Importance of Atomic Force Microscope Beam Dynamics for the Extraction of Viscoelastic Sample Properties" 47th Annual Technical Meeting Society of Engineering Science, October 3-6, 2010 Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Turner Joseph A., Philip A. Yuya, Susan Enders, "Quantitative characterization of viscoelastic properties at the nanoscale", Polychar 17-World Forum on Advanced Materials, April 20-29 2009, Rouen, France.
- P. A. Yuya, and J. A. Turner, "Contact Resonance Atomic Force Microscopy for Viscoelasticity ('CRAVE')," 45th Annual Technical Meeting Society of Engineering Science, October 12th- 15th 2008 University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
- P. A. Yuya, D.C. Hurley, and J. A. Turner, "Measurement of Viscoelastic Material Properties with Contact Resonance Force Microscopy" International Conference on Nanoscience and Technology, Keystone Resort and Conference Center, Keystone, Colorado July 2008.
- P. A. Yuya, and J. A. Turner, "Analysis of Stiffness Effects on the Modal Sensitivity of Microcantilever Coupled with a Nanofiber" 44th Annual Technical Meeting Society of Engineering Science, October 21 - 24, 2007 University Center Complex, Texas A&M University.
- P. A. Yuya, Y. Wen, J. A. Turner, Yuris A. Dzenis and Z. Li, "Determination of the Young's modulus of individual electrospun nanofibers by microcantilever vibration method", 2007 MRS Spring Meeting, April 9—13, 2007 Moscone West, San Francisco Marriott, San Francisco, CA, USA.
- J. A. Turner, P. A. Yuya, D. C. Hurley, and M. K. Müller, "Mechanical Characterization of Micro- and Nano-fiber Composites", The 41st Annual SES Technical Meeting Lincoln, Nebraska October 11-13, 2004.