Filing NYS Income Taxes
SPECIAL NOTE - Please note that the terms 'non-resident' and 'resident' for NYS Income Tax purposes are NOT the same as 'Non-Resident Alien' as they are used on Federal Tax Forms. For NYS Tax purposes, you will be considered a 'non-resident' on New York State if you live on campus, in the dorms. You will be considered a 'resident' of New York State if you live off-campus.
Please follow these rules if you plan to file NYS Income Tax Return: (you may be able to file online by going to NYS Department of Taxation & Finance
NOTE: The reason international students who live in dorms on campus are treated as non-residents for NYS tax purposes is because the time spent living in a dorm is considered a 'temporary home'.
FORM Instructions -
Steps in Filing New York State Income Tax Forms when using IT 203/IT 203-B
- Prepare your federal income tax return and have a copy for reference
- Download the appropriate forms
- Form IT 203: Nonresident & Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return
- Form IT 203 – Instructions
- Tips for Completion of Form IT – 203
- Form IT-203-B: Attachment to Form IT-203
- NOTE: You will only need to complete the section titled “Schedule B – Living Quarters maintained in NYS by nonresident” You just need to complete your address(es) you lived in while in NYS during 2012
- Complete and file your forms to NY State Department of Taxation