Background Image

Dependents of J1 exchange visitors

In this Section

Clarkson University strongly suports the reunification of families and friends. Spouses and unmarried minor children (under 21 years of age) can be admitted in J-2 dependent status while other family members may qualify for visitor/tourist classificiation to visit you in the United States.

Steps to obtain a dependent DS-2019:

  1. Complete the Dependent Request Form and submit to the ISSO
  2. After review a Dependent DS-2019 will be issued and either returned to you with your initial documents or given for you to send under separate cover
  3. Have you spouse and children apply for the J-2 visa at your local consulate

Steps to invite friends & family:

  1. Complete a Verification Request Form to request a letter of invitation for your friend or family member
  2. Give the reason for the visit (ie. general visit or attending graduation ceremony)
  3. Give the full name (as it appears on their passport) of the person you are inviting as well as their date of birth
  4. Send this letter to the person you are inviting
  5. Your friend or family member will apply at the local consulate for a (B) visitors visa