Background Image

Employment Authorizations

In this Section

The federal government defines an 'employee' as "an individual who provides services or labor for an employer for wages or other remuneration." 8 CFR 274a.1(f)". Therefore if you receive any compensation (examples include - paycheck, meal voucher, travel reimbursement or stipend) you are considered an employee and therefore should ensure that you have the authorization to engage in that employment.

Please review the information to the right as there are many forms of employment that an international student may engage in. However - please always remember that any form of off-campus employment must have authorization from either the ISSO or the federal government. There are strict penalties for those that engage in unauthorized employment.

Any questions should always be forwarded to the ISSO for further clarification. This is to help ensure that you maintain your student status.