New Graduate Students Welcome
WELCOME TO CLARKSON!
Congratulations on your acceptance to the Graduate School at Clarkson University. We are excited to hear that you will be joining us!
As you plan your arrival, there are a number of things you should be doing to prepare. Everything you need to know can be found on this website. Below is a checklist to guide you, with links provided to the required forms and information. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us - our contact information can be found here.
- Review your admission and financial aid letters - make sure you fully understand your admission and financial aid offer, and any expenses you will be responsible for as a graduate student at Clarkson. If you have any questions, contact your graduate coordinator.
- Important dates
- Orientation - attendance for all new graduate students is mandatory. Orientation schedules will be sent out by email or view here - Orientation Schedule
- Student Health Forms - due back by:
- July 1st (fall)
- December 1st (spring)
- May 1st (summer)
- Health Insurance - all students at Clarkson are required to show proof of health insurance during registration. If you do not have insurance through an outside provider, you will be prompted to purchase Clarkson's student health insurance plan when you check-in for classes. You can review details of this requirement at www.clarkson.edu/sas/student_accounts/healthinsurance.html. More information will also be included in your first invoice.
- Financial Clearance and Check in procedures - SAS Check-in
- Student ID and Vehicle Registration - New Procedure - ID and Vehicle Registration
- Housing Information - It is your responsibility to secure appropriate off-campus housing. Clarkson does not offer on-campus accommodations for graduate students. Suitable apartments in Potsdam are very limited. As soon as you know you are definitely coming to Clarkson, you should secure an apartment immediately. Due to the housing situation, we strongly suggest that you arrive on campus at least 2 weeks prior to the start of classes.
- Clarkson University Map
- Accommodative Services Information
- Employment Eligibility Verification - ALL graduate students holding research or teaching assistantships, or who expect to work on campus, must provide certain identification and employment eligibility documents within 3 days of your official start date. Upon arrival, visit your graduate coordinator's office to begin this process. Please plan to have the following documentation with you:
- US Citizens: two forms of ID along with/including your Social Security Card.
- International Students: I-94, visa, and passport.
- International Student Information - upon arrival please see Tess Casler, Director of the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO), to have your SEVIS I-20 endorsed and copies made of your passport, I-94, and Visa.
- English as a Second Language - all students for whom English is a second language will be required to take a placement exam given by our EAP coordinator. This exam includes a test of writing skills, as well as spoken skills for graduate students with a Teaching Assistantship. Students needing remedial work will be assigned to English for Academic Purposes (EAP) courses. Time and date for this exam will be announced in the orientation materials.
Fall 2016 Semester
Plan to arrive NO LATER THAN Monday, August 22 for orientation and enrollment!
ISE-Specific Grad Student Orientation
August 24, 2016
9:15am - 11:00am
(Food will be provided)
Graduate Welcome Reception (all grad students)
August 23, 2016
6:00 pm -7:30 pm
BBQ Pit (Cheel)
Financial Clearance and Check-in Procedures:
Optional Orientation Activities:
See what else you can
do during Orientation!
Attend the President's welcome...
Watch a movie....
Learn about recycling...
Grab some free pizza at the carnival..