Get Funds for your Sustainability Projects
Do you have ideas for projects or activities that would help to integrate sustainability principles and practices into everything we do at Clarkson? An annual opportunity is available to share your ideas and willingness to implement them. The $25,000/year fund enables members of our community to engage in the process of making our campus more environmentally, socially and fiscally sustainable.
Additional funds from the New York State Pollution Prevention Institute (NYSP2I) support projects. Students receiving these funds present their work at an annual Green Your Campus Sustainability Competition in April of each year. Clarkson teams received the first place award for their project on occupancy sensors in dormitory hallways in 2012, a second place award in 2013 for the installation of low-flow sink aerators in campus bathrooms, and a first and second place award in 2014.
Past Sustainability Fund projects have made a real difference on campus. Among the changes made as a result of these projects, we have-
- Installed water bottle refill stations at several locations around campus
- Initiated changes in lighting and occupancy sensors for energy savings
- Initiated re-useable to-go box program to reduce solid waste and costs
- Subsidized sales of re-useable water bottles
- Educated students in off-campus housing about energy conservation and efficiency measures
- Explored several ways to increase food waste collection for the anaerobic digester
- Increased awareness about recycling opportunities
- Initiated KnightRider – a bike lending program operated through Campus Safety & Security
- Developed a partnership in Uganda to increase tree planting for carbon sequestration
These projects and more are summarized in the following documents:
- Sustainability Fund Project synopsis – AY12
- Sustainability Fund Project Synopsis – AY13
- Sustainability Fund Project Synopsis – AY14
Details describing the proposal process and ideas for projects are available as a pdf file.
Graduate students David Illig (left) and Jeannie Piekarz display the team’s award-winning poster for their project “Dormitory Motion Sensor Lighting” at the New York State Pollution Prevention Institute “Greening Your Campus” student competition.
2015-2016 Sustainability Fund
|September 8||Program announced and request for proposals available|
|By appointment:||Questions? Email Sustain@clarkson.edu to set up an
appointment with Alex French or Dr. Susan Powers
||Deadline for registering to make a Pitch|
|October 6,7, or 8||Opportunity to Pitch your idea|
||Proposals due electronically by 5 p.m.|
|November 18||Funded proposals announced|
|December-April||Projects implemented and assessed|
|April 15, 2016||Project report due|
2012 Recycling Project focused on student awareness