Adopt Our Green Tips
Not quite sure what you can do to make the most impact to increase your sustainability? Check out our green tips to make a difference on campus and in your life!
Start by evaluating your Ecological footprint - A fun way to see your impact on our earth and help prioritize the areas in your life to make the most difference.
- RETHINK WASTE:
If you don't use materials (think paper, disposable containers,) we do not need to worry about recycling or disposal
- CARRY YOUR OWN: Coffee mug, water bottle and canvas shopping bags all help to reduce solid waste and save you money!
- SWAP & SHARE: Greencycle, Take it or leave it, and the annual campus garage sale all provide venues for keeping material goods in use
- RECYCLE ALL YOU CAN: Zero-sort recycling - it (almost) goes all into one bin
- BE EFFICIENT WITH ENERGY
- POWER DOWN: Put your computer to sleep when not in use and turn it off when you go home for the day. See how-to-tips.
- CUT YOUR DRIVING MILES: Combine your travels with healthy living - walk to bike to or around campus. Carpool when you can.
- MANAGE YOUR BUILDING HEAT: Save energy in the summer months by closing blinds, turning off non-essential lighting, and using fans. Closing shades or blinds at night in the winter will reduce radiant losses.
- SWITCH BULBS: Consider installing compact fluorescent or LED light bulbs in your home, office, or dorm.
- VALUE OUR RESOURCES: Our campus' built, natural and human capital are priceless! Take time to enjoy and respect our setting and those you work or live with
- WATCH WHAT YOU EAT: Your food choices effect how much carbon is needed to feed our community. Try a vegetarian or vegan diet for one of to days a week and focus on locally grown or fair-trade food to really reduce your ecological impact.